bad bad news

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by midget_farms, May 14, 2008.

1. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    [​IMG]

Some of you may remember I've been looking for started buff orpington's. I finally found a nice guy who was willing to ship them for me. I bought 12.

Only 3 survived the trek. 1 cockrel & 2 pullets.

I had 10 pullets & 2 cockrels. The birds were 8 weeks old, fully feathered. $60 in shipping & the post office took 2 days to deliver. They don't allow water to be in the box with the chicks.

Not very happy. These orps will have to lay golden eggs now to make up the cost.

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I am so sorry to hear that, that is so sad. How long was it suppost to take? I didn't know your could even ship chickens that big, how long can they go without water?

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I am so sorry. How sad for those poor birds and for you.

All birds take 2 days to ship and usually make it just fine. I would say the shipping was not the cause. Were they overpacked in the boxes. How many boxes were these 12 birds in? I couldn't imagine shipping 12 of my buff orps at 8 wks for only $60. They need a lot of space for proper air flow so they don't overheat in transit.

Jody

4. inudat12

inudat12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2008
    NorthCentral Ohio
    I bought a 10 month old Jersey Giant Roo and 2 Jersey Giant pullets, the box was huge and the shipping cost me a whopping $95.00, the box was paid for separately. It took two days and they arrived safe and sound, although they were thirsty. The seller told me, she had put a can of corn (green giant not dried) and apple slices in the box with them, so they had something wet. They did very well and now we are hatching their eggs for our own giant flock.

Sorry to hear your shipping experience wasn't so great.

Tracy

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  5. jenmckin

jenmckin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    NW Mississippi
    Oh I'm so sorry [​IMG]

Did you have them insured?? I would be livid if it were me.

About how I felt when my 2 year old tore off all of the leaves to my baby Pink Ice tomato plant yesterday that came in with several others I ordered and with shipping were all around $55.

But yours is worse.

You could try to hatch your own with the one roo and two hens.

6. mergmet

mergmet Chillin' With My Peeps

that is a lot of birds, was it two boxes? they had to be express so there should have been insurance.

I am sorry for the loss, its always hard....

M

7. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    All Express mail is automatically insured for 100 dollars and if they didn't arrive by the guaranteed time of delivery they will refund the shipping to the shipper. You need to talk to him because it is a very simple process. Not a lot paper work and they give the money back at the desk. Sorry you lost your babies but I shipped day olds and it took 2 days and they arrived fine. Also have shipped 4 month olds and it took longer than 24 hours and they were okay too. I put fruit in the bottom for the older ones.

8. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    That is horrible! That's one reason I don't ship chicks. I did buy 6, 6 week old Marans once and it took 2 days. I was almost out of my mind with worry. They made it fine,but there was the remains of an apple,eaten down to the smallest core in there. Did your seller put anything like that in there? You didn't say. I would think anyone would do that. Sorry for your loss.

9. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Seller & I were both new to shipping birds. We had all 12 in 1 box. They must have suffocated.

God was looking out for me though. I have 1 roo & 1 pullet each from two different strains. I will be starting the flock from these birds. Next spring I will be full of chicks!

By the way I think one of my barred rocks just went broody. I'll ask in the broody section.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by