1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad beak pecking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BigMomaHen, Sep 21, 2016.

1. BigMomaHen

BigMomaHen New Egg

Sep 21, 2016
    I have a cinnamon queen that is getting pecked often now for the past few days. The first time I noticed it was one morning while letting the chickens out of their coop she stood out because I noticed she had something black on her beak. I picked her up and she had half of her crown eaten off and a small part of her beak where it meets her face forward her eye was missing as well. It my had already stopped bleeding and turn black so I let her be and kept an eye on her every morning to make sure she was doing okay with the others. She didn't show any new sores so I figured she had gotten into a fight with the he other ladies but today she has almost half of her beak missing . It's horrible looking and I felt that she is losing her breast. I don't know if I should pull her from the others and show her some on on one time, but scared she would be bullied and put at the bottom (which she might already be here) of the pecking order. What should I do y'all. Any suggestions ?

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    I'd separate that chicken and treat her wounds.

I'd also set up shop in a chair amongst your flock and watch to see if there is a bully. If you can determine who it is that's starting this, you can isolate THAT chicken in a time out with food and water.

Seven days in solitary should soften her temperament, and it's enough to require a pecking order "reset." Then, the bully will be on the bottom when she is reintroduced to the flock. If she bullies again, repeat. If that doesn't cure her, and she's just a mean old chicken, consider freezer camp.

Hope that helps!

MrsB

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Also........

[​IMG]

MrsB

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by