1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bad beaks!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jotee, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    I have recently purchased four 19 week old Isa Browns to add to my flock. I had no idea that they would have their beaks trimmed ( more like mutilated)... two of them so short, their tongue's are almost visible....They seem to have a bit of trouble picking up the laying mash....do you think they were fed pellets and if so can they adapt to the grain with such short beaks?? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated....thanks.

P.S. I have always raised my birds as day olds so never had trimmed beaks before, really hate it!

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Your hens have been what they call "Debeaked."
    Debeaked chickens have a part of their beaks trimmed off to prevent chickens from pecking each other.
    It sounds to me like your hens have been permanently debeaked.
    They may have a hard time eating because of it.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    They usually recommend feeding trimmed birds in deep dishes since they eat more by scooping than by picking things up... make sure there is a good depth of feed. They should be able to eat pellets, crumbles or mash, they may like one better than the other, or be used to one.

4. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Thanks, I'll get some pellets and see how that works for them....

5. jotee

jotee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    De-beaked, you're not kidding!....Who ever does the trimming at this hatchery needs a refresher course.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by