BAD behavior!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dcba flock, Mar 21, 2013.

1. dcba flock

dcba flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Albany,NY
    My new batch of chicks is having some real social problems! They are all going on 4-5 weeks or so. My little Du'uccle seems to be a roo he is constantly after all the others especially my BCM who will soon be much bigger than him and he has pulled the fuzz out of the back of another's neck! I understand there is a pecking order thing but this seems a little extreme and I'm wondering if this just his personality and it will only get worse? I have 8 of them in a very large wire cage with a perch, plenty of food and fresh water, treats, dirt bath etc! This is my first batch of chicks maybe this common... Any insight would be great! Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    They need more space, almost certainly. They would also benefit from being allowed to peck and scratch the ground. They should be old enough to be outdoors at least during the day.

3. dcba flock

dcba flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2013
    Albany,NY
    Thank you and I would love to have them outside except it is still pretty cold here in northern WI and we have a ton of snow! I did just upgrade them to a much large accommodation that will have to work for the time being! Some are much more feathered than other and I do bring in green hay for them to scratch in. They do seem better this afternoon maybe the excitement is wearing down!

4. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to take out the cardboard divider last night due to flying around, loud chirps, and overall unnecessary roughness and rowdiness of my brood...also added a Flock Block to the area and that almost immediately made a difference. It seems the added 8 sq. ft. did wonders alone, and then I introduced the block - they're no longer pecking at each other, unless one wants to be King of the Mountain by him/herself on top of that block.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by