Bad Behaviors?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theprimouomo, Aug 8, 2010.

1. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    to day i went to the coop to gave my chickens food my six month's old roo was staring at me as soon as i opened the door he came jumping to me he wanted to get out (wierd) [​IMG]

soo when i set them free in the backyard he keept staring at me and runing and following me (he looked like he wanted to kill me )
    so i was scared [​IMG]

is this normal (other chickens and roo didnt do anything only him ) or he doesnt like me or is he voilent ?
    sould i take him back? god please help me [​IMG]

he became annoying [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Some roosters can be nasty. He has hit puberty and feels he owns the girls. He sees you as a potential challenge to his alpha male status (Irrespective of whether you are male or female).

Nip this behaviour in the bud before he gets really bad. Tomorrow when he comes out of the coop grab him, some say hold him upside down for a bit (though I don't do this), then tuck him under your arm and parade around with him in front of the hens whilst talking and stroking him. This will let him and the hens know his place...i.e you are alpha chook!

Do this for a couple of days. It cures most roosters, but the really nasty guys probably need to be culled.

Good Luck,

Sandie

3. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    Also, look him in the eye and don't back down from him. Just like dogs, the roos need to know who is the boss. If they think they have gotten the better of you, they will keep trying.

4. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have a similar problem with a hen. I have been trying to carry her around when I can catch her! I swatted her away just this morning as she charged me. I have only four chickens, so I don't want to EAT her. LOL!! [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Change his attitude or get rid of him. Left unchecked his bad boy behavior will only increase. Beaks, toenails, and spurs can cause serious damage.

6. theprimouomo

theprimouomo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    thanks for the advice [​IMG]
    we will see who is the BOSS tomorrow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by