Bad boy incarcerated

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BooBear, Apr 28, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    As yal know I was trying to find a home for Lola the extra Silkie boy that got himself in trouble for being too randy around the other roosters' girls. Dad found a home for Lola with some nice folks that wanted him for a pet. [​IMG] This is the good news.

Bad:
    Cinnimon who is a handsome Silkie rooster has been getting too rough with the girls (Blueberry & Rita). We had to re-arrange the coop to add a cage to break one of the Wyandotte girls from her broodiness. This meant that the Silkies normal sleep spot got moved. Cinnimon was not happy and when Blueberry started to wander in confusion he pecked her very hard on the head. [​IMG] She nearly passed out. Dad said he saw Cinnimon do this 2 times to poor Blueberry. [​IMG]

Silkies have a soft spot on their heads due to the vaulted skulls they have so this is very bad. I was so worried for Blueberry and promptly removed Cinnimon to the bachlor pen (a.k.a doorway to freezer camp). He squawked and cried a bit about it. I picked up Blueberry to see if she was ok. Her eyes were normal and she was breathing ok. She walking normally so I think he just knocked her silly.

As beautiful as he is I cannot tolerate an overly rough rooster. Will seperating him cool him down some or am I looking at possibly more trouble? Should I keep him seperated for a day or 2 days? [​IMG]

Cinnimon is friendly with me and lets me cuddle with him. I have noticed since the hormones have kicked in that he has been a bit rough to the girls in attempts to herd them and try to get friskie with them. The girls are not ready for this which is what I think is making him be rough to them. The Silkies will turn 20 weeks this coming Saturday.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Testosterone poisoning, no cure. [​IMG]

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

I think I may have rehomed the wrong one. [​IMG]
    Maybe a few days in chickie jail will cool his heels? [​IMG] I am hoping so as he is sweet to me and very pretty. I just don't want a boy that is too rough to the girls.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

remember also that he's equivalent to a teen-aged boy at this stage, and will quite possibly settle down and be less um.... well, you know... ! as he matures. [​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    He is just doing what nature is telling him to do. If we could control hormones I wouldn't have teenage boys calling my house and asking to speak to my daughters. [​IMG]
    Hopefully his "timeout" will calm him down a bit.

6. Sorin

Sorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Glenfield, ny
    Quote:X2 they generally get better at the whole process as they get older. The hens do as well, once they realize that if they just squat down and get it over with [​IMG] life is a little easier.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Don't know why the boys always seem to kick in sooner than the girls in the whoopie department.
    Poor girls, hope they can survive it.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Cuz us females take the time to develop brains as well as..... [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't help myself. [​IMG]

9. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Cuz us females take the time to develop brains as well as..... [​IMG]