Bad Broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MaeIstrom, Nov 19, 2019.

1. MaeIstrom

MaeIstrom Chirping

Jul 10, 2019
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have a wyandotte that's always excelled in finding the most inconvenient spot to sleep or lay eggs but she has really outdone herself this time, she's managed to create a secret nest in a ditch between a wall and a bank of loose sand that threatens to cave in every time I approach her. To make matters worse it slopes downhill, she originally had a clutch of eggs at the lowest point and then laid a second batch a foot or so up the slope. I initially removed the unattended eggs and the next day she had somehow moved her eggs downhill to the original nest. In the first week she left the nest for at least an hour and the eggs were cold to the touch, I didn't stress as they were infertile but I've now put 10 eggs from leghorns and hyline browns under her. They're very large eggs but she's a large chicken and I've heard of people hatching 12-15 eggs so I thought it would be fine. I placed them in the higher nest as it seemed bigger but on the second day 1 had rolled downhill. I placed it next to her to see if she would take it and the next day she had once again transported the entire nest a foot or so downhill. No more eggs rolling away I guess but she's sitting awkwardly and there always seems to be 1-2 eggs not being covered, I've attached a couple of photos so you can see what I mean. I've noticed they seem to be different eggs so she's clearly rotating them but when I put my hands on the uncovered eggs they are cold to the touch. We've had a spate of hot days between 30-35 degrees celsius so I wasn't stressing too much but now it looks like some cooler weather, maybe even rain coming. Should I bite the bullet and remove a couple of eggs to save the rest and how long can an egg be left uncovered before dying?
    bbback.jpg bbfront.jpg

Diana_burns04 and AstraChick like this.
  2. Ribh

Ribh Crossing the Road

:caf Following...

3. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    What a silly and strange chicken! Do you have an incubator that you could put some of the eggs into?

Diana_burns04 and AstraChick like this.
  4. MaeIstrom

MaeIstrom Chirping

Jul 10, 2019
    Perth, Western Australia
    I do have a 6-egg incubator that I got for $20 of e-bay but I don't really trust it. Plus I poured water in the wrong hole and while I was waiting for it to dry out she shifted position again and has been covering all the eggs for the last 2 days.

In defence of this hen she did manage to find the one spot where her eggs wouldn't be found by the human egg-thief and she's sitting in pretty hot weather where the ambient temperature is approaching what it should be inside an incubator on some afternoons so maybe she's smarter about hatching eggs than we are. I'll let you know in 2 weeks..

AstraChick and Quailobsessed like this.
  5. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    That's true! They always do a better job!

6. MaeIstrom

MaeIstrom Chirping

Jul 10, 2019
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well the big days is here and so far 5 have hatched and she's moved off the eggs. Doesn't help that another hen's been laying next to her and there's more eggs left than what she started with.:he
    topdown.jpg
    I ended up putting an old table-top over her to give her some privacy and protection from the elements but I needn't have bothered cause she called the weather right too - first rain since she started sitting due tomorrow. In the meantime the council was so sure it was gonna rain a couple of weeks back they did some prescribed burning and nearly burnt down half the city.
    shelter.jpg

So yeah 5 outta 10 ain't too bad I guess, better hatch rate than my last attempt with an incubator. She seems pretty content with herself right now...
    henwithchicks.jpg

7. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    That's so great! Chickens can be amazing mothers. We really need rain in NSW with all the bush fires.

AstraChick and Diana_burns04 like this.
  8. AstraChick

AstraChick Songster

Oct 11, 2019
    Victoria Australia
    mama chooks are very smart, well most of the time.
    i had a broody roll an egg out of the nest, so i checked it and it was a quitter.

@Quailobsessed hope you not effected by all the bush fires, its so bad at the moment, my heart goes out to them all

Diana_burns04 and Quailobsessed like this.
  9. Quailobsessed

Quailobsessed Songster

Oct 12, 2019
    Australia
    We've had bush fires around us, haven't had to evacuate so far. The smoke's been awful though, thanks.

AstraChick likes this.
  10. Diana_burns04

Diana_burns04 Songster

Nov 4, 2019
    Thank god!! What if you have to travel because of the fires!! What about your animals??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: