Bad Bumblefoot on my Baby Girl. Please help !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lydiagirl99, Jun 14, 2016.

1. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    I have a chicken with a pretty bad case of Bumblefoot. Just by looking at her foot you can see it's puffed up around her toes and then when you pick her up you can see the distinctive black scab on her foot. Me and my mom tried to help her by removing the scab on it and anything that looked like infection but eventually it started looking like white stringy stuff so we thought it might be her tissue so we bandaged it up and put her back.. A day or two after she had gotten it off but her foot wasn't as hot from infection and looking like the swelling had went down but today when I checked on everyone she is being lethargic :( She literally looks like she's sad. The other chickens are running around doing whatever and she just kind of sits there or walks around a little bit.. I just need some advice on what's possibly going on and what I should do. Anything is appreciated !

2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    Bumblefoot is a staph so be carful with it. You can cut it open and pull the core out and bandage it. Or you can call your vet and get a antibiotic from your vet which will cure it. I have done both with my ducks. If you go the antibiotic way you won't to be able to use the eggs for a month. That is if the chicken is a hen.

3. lydiagirl99

lydiagirl99 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2016
    Michigan (By The Thumb)
    My parents refuse to spend the money needed to take her to the vet unfortunately. We already pulled the core out and the foot looked better but now shes lathargic.

4. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    Don't worry, she is probably stressed from the surgery. I just cleaned a minor wound on my hen and she is being lethargic and unlike herself. Your hens is likely using her energy to help her heal and recover, instead of run around and be her usual silly self. Make sure she is still eating and drinking and keep the wound clean and bandaged so it will heal quickly. Most hens recover completely from bumblefoot; just give her time and lots of care.

5. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    She will be fine. I will put them in a dog crate anyway to keep them quiet and the bandage from getting wet or dirty. My vet will just give me the antibiotics if I call her and explain what is going on. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by