Bad case of worms and my hens quit laying

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TCchickies13, Nov 13, 2015.

1. TCchickies13

TCchickies13 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I could use some help. My flock (Cream Brabanters & SLW's) came down with a bad case of worms (I think). All of my hens have quit laying. I haven't seen an egg in months. It's my own fault- You see, my Dad became very ill and we've been at the hospital and visiting doctors a lot (he's doing great, now). I didn't notice my birds weren't acting right- lethargic & very quiet. One night, I was in the mood for a chicken dinner. I discovered I had a problem as I plucked. The bird was nothing but skin and bones.
    I have now treated them all with Wazine 17 as per the directions and am now on day 3 of treating them with Strike lll. I must say, they all look better. The young roos are crowing and all of the birds are looking great and as active as they should be. I can see that they are putting on weight. My question is whether the hens will begin laying again. I'd hate to wait until spring to start a new flock...
    Do any of you have some encouragement for me? I have searched and searched for an answer to no avail.
    Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Glad that your Dad is doing well. They will lay again, but it sounds as if they were in pretty bad shape. It will take a while -very likely months for them to recuperate.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    This is the time of year that laying drops way off with molt and more importantly, shorter days.
    How old are they? You shouldn't have to start a new flock.
    After they've recovered from their condition, if you add a light on a timer, they'll start up again in a few weeks.

1 person likes this.
  4. Ryannjnc

Ryannjnc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2015
    Oak Ridge
    There is the possibility they may not lay again until it gets warm. I've heard a lot of these stories and most cases, once the chickens stop laying in the cold, they will not start again until it gets warm again.

5. TCchickies13

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank-You for the optimistic reply!
    My SLW's are 1&2 years old (I understand that the older girls have seen their best days for laying). My Brabanters are only 15 months old.
    I do have coop lights set with a timer. I'm also feeding them with a "heavy hand" to help them gain some weight.

6. TCchickies13

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank-You. You're right- they were in pretty bad shape. It's good to see them running around the farm acting, well, like chickens. I'm glad that I won't have to begin again. I just love my Bra's and they were difficult to get! The Brabanters lay the tastiest eggs that my family and friends have ever tasted.
    Hope springs eternal!

7. TCchickies13

Mar 2, 2014
    I don't mind feeding them through the winter. I have such a terrible tick population out here- one of the main reasons I started keeping them (plus the fact that my 82 yo Mom wanted fresh eggs). Well- no ticks and no eggs. Not a perfect plan...

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Cold has very little to do with it unless it is well below zero. It is a coincidence that it is cold when day length is short. Since people are uncomfortable in the cold, they relate that to cessation of lay. Light/dark cycles reaching the pineal gland is the primary determinant of the hormones leading to reproduction.
    Those birds are the right age to have been molting. They won't lay until completely recovered from molt.

1 person likes this.
  9. TCchickies13

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank-You all!

10. TCchickies13

Mar 2, 2014
    Beautiful. I really appreciate your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by