Bad chicken farmer = good rewards

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linn Bee, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel so quilty! I was 'playing' with the light timers in my coop yesterday to allow for about 13 hours of daylight. I made a mistake and accidently left the timer in the 'on' position rather in timer mode. As a result, my poor babies had 24 hours of daylight.

Also, as a result, I collected 11 eggs from my 10 hens today. I've never gotten 10 eggs in a day. Nine once, but I was always happy with 8 eggs a day. I suspect the extra egg was laid after I tucked them in last night. The others were laid today. I now have (I hope) the timers set properly. I wonder how many I'll see tomorrow with the hens getting a good night's sleep?

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    That's kinda funny! I'm sure your chickens are happy with some rest time tonight. Your post might inspire someone frustrated with non-laying hens to leave a light on to get the laying started again.

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    haaaa......i just put a timer in my coop last night as well.......this morning.......my DH came running in to wake me bright and early from a sound sleep to let me know
    i left the chicken coop light on all night!.....ugggggggggg!!!!!!!!.......i told him ..I HAVE A TIMER!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ha, ha, ha! At least I got a good night's sleep.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by