1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad Chickens! BAD CHICKENS!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pairie Faring, May 9, 2011.

1. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    So I just came home from work and went to check to do a "chicken check" ... Girls are currently living in a coop in the garage with free range all dayin a large fenced in back yard. And I find I have one chicken in the coop. ONE ! I'm supposed to have SIX .

This is what I did [​IMG]

Came inside and procured a flash light and I can't find any chickens! I feel like my heart is going to burst! I want my babies!

WHERE ARE MY BABIES!

begin looking in the garage and two are roosting on top of the coop. (yep totally missed them while looking IN the coop) two more wedged behind the coop and one in the corner...

But no Scarlett ...

Scarlett's personality rhymes with "pitchy" and can't imagine where she would be, after the longest ten minutes of my life I find her...

In the rafters of the garage ...

Ten feet up !

roosting

BAD CHICKEN!

stop scaring your chicken mommy ...

Jeez

P.S. who knew a 10 week old chicken could get that far up!

2. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    You may be finding her on the roof later on...........

[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh I am so glad you found them all. But, yes, their antics sure are heart-stopping sometimes, aren't they!?!?!

For a while, some of my tweens decided they wanted to roost ON their coop, not IN it. They complained so much when I gathered each of them up, separately, and put them inside the coop.

And now a bunch of them are roosting on the back porch railing. With some of the older, layers, too, which seem to have decided it's good to be be so close to the door that the Lady Who Feeds Them opens every day (a few times).

Ah well.

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Just wait until you find yourself balancing up high (where you know you shouldn't be) to get the chicken to a safer spot to roost!

Ahhh chickens! Mine live in the barn and one night I couldn't find three- 2 roosters who have been very bad and one hen. I finally find them in the rafters of the barn (seperate part where critters have been know to get in) So I climb up to the hay loft and get two down and the last one I have to climb even further up to get him... I am not known for my balance so this is really not a good idea- I knew it and I guess the rooster did to because as soon as I got him into my arms he gave me an earful and didn't want to be a part of my rescue mission (plus we still had to battle the ladder to get down). He did give me a good sleepy smile when I put him with a bunch of his ladies on the correct side of the barn.

5. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I found one of my polish chicks out of the brooder and in a pen with an adult roo! It was huddled up in the corner, just glad it didn't get hurt. His mate just died of egg binding so he was alone in there. Anyway, the chick is back in the brooder and the door is shut!

6. Pairie Faring

Pairie Faring Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Dodge City
    I am so glad I'm not the only one! Those little turds gave me a heart attack!

I can't help but think " They are only two months old, what are they going to be up to next!"

Scarlett was just soooo pleased with herself all the way up there too!

Should've took a picture, I was just so darn happy to see her I had to climb up and get her. My pay back was the fact that she HATES to be picked up!

7. lebentier

lebentier Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    SoCal
    what a charming story...warms my heart.

8. deserthens

deserthens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2011
    Tucson, Arizona
    We had an Old English Bantam hen that used to fly on top of the house! Luckily she was not picked off by a hawk!
    Glad you found them safe and sound!

9. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    I never really realized how high up a chicken can fly until I was doing a horse demo at one of our local expo centers. While talking to some folks I happened to catch movement in the rafters and there stood a beautiful bantam rooster walking around and surveying his "kingdom". Mind you, these roofs are at least 12ft up and I wondered how in the world he flew up that high. Well, once I left the stall where my drafts were, he flew down to the railing, then down to the ground, walking around them and the piles they left getting lunch then back up to the top rail and up to the rafters. I was very impressed with his flying ability and skill.

10. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    aahhh, chickens..have to love them
    glad they're ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by