Bad chihuahua....

Princessfarmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Roy, washington
I have a tiny little 3 pound chihuahua who terrorizes my chickens when I let them out to freerange. Today she scared one of my bantys up into a tree.
sad.png
its getting to the point that when I open their coop door, I think they would rather stay in....I don't really know what to do....other than keep the dog locked in the house when they freerange which is kind of a bummer....

Have you tried to train the dog to leave them alone? You could always tie the dog up ona short leash inside the chicken pen and let the hens peck him. See how he likes being terrorized.
smack.gif
(I'm kidding by the way)

I don't mean to sound harsh, but if I can successfully manage to free range two flocks when I have an 85 lb. german shepherd and a 100 lb. german shepherd, it can be done when all you have to worry about is a 3 lb. chihuahua.

Keep the dog in the house while the chickens are out. Lock him in a room if you have to. If he needs to go out while the chickens are out, take him out on a leash. It can be managed with a little forethought.

I had a nice long, helpful post typed, but then I thought about it- this is a 3 lb. dog, you just need to take charge of the situation. Organize the schedule. Remember, neither chickens nor dogs are in charge, YOU are. Make sure everyone knows not to let the dinky dog out until you OK it.

I have fences between my dogs and the birds, but I still lock the dogs in when the chickens are out. Just logic to be careful.
smile.png

Actually- I was thinking the title of the post was a bit redundant, not sure how many chihuahuas I have met who are NOT bad!
woot.gif
talk about a Napoleon complex!
lau.gif

Quote:
If I'm down with the chickens she will listen when I tell her to leave them alone.....

Keep working on the training and just don't let her out until you can be there. Given time, she might well figure it out and leave them alone. Chis are soooo excitable and also forget how small they are. But they are very intelligent and she will learn with consistent training. Best of luck!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom