bad couple days... might have to cull another

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladrholman, May 2, 2011.

1. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    I wrote a few weeks ago about one buff who was walking on her knuckles on one side. Well had to cull her yesterday. She was getting around for a week or so and then just couldn't I think she had a displaced/dislocated hip. Poor little soul. Couldn't make it to the food and water and I think just gave up!! So I couldn't let her suffer any longer. I also wrote a few weeks ago about needing to do surgery on 2 girls with impacted crop. Well they both seemed to have done really well until 2 days ago. My Americauna is still doing well, but my red cross girl became sour again. I don't feel any blockage. I got her to throw up and then she seemed to clear, but this morning she was all filled up again. Feeling miserable. Puffy and ill looking. I have had people say sometimes it is an intestinal things... narrowing in it and that this is something that will not clear. I did not want to put her through surgery again. She hardly looks up to it. I have her with only some water with apple cider and oil in it. What does any body think???

2. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    ANYBODY>>>>
    She is still drinking some water and laid an egg. She has passed some watery poop. Still not feeling up to stuff but alive. Plan to keep her only on the water today and then if she makes it to tomorrow will add some yogurt and acidophilis to see if I can unsour the crop. ... some insight would be great.....

3. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    sorry no insight, but put some electrolyte solution in that water for some nutrients, hope she gets better.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Give her mylanta for the crop. Probiotics could be helpful.

Chickens are VERY likely to recover from injury--just give them time. Illnesses are much more likely to take their toll, but as long as the bird is maintaining their own, I see no purpose in culling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by