Bad day for chicks, rabbit feeder warning.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by skillswife, Apr 14, 2011.

1. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Checked the chicks this morning and all was well. Then after the kids got home from school my daughter spotted one of our splash bantam cochins feet sticking out of the metal rabbit feeder we have grit in. It had wedged its way up inside the feeder and died.... I feel terrible! Then we have a black cochin who has not been gaining or growing but up until today has acted normal. Then today she was rather lethargic, went out this evening and she was dying. I just held her and massaged her as she passed. Very sad. I know, chicks die, I am a tough ranch girl, and this should not bother me right? But its a life lost and it makes me sad. After losing all our cochin eggs I am feeling a bit down. The rest of the flock seems to be doing well and growing, so I hope we continue that direction.

2. TexasAggieOfc

TexasAggieOfc Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Lincoln, NE
    My condolences for your losses. We've had our share of losses with both our chickens and rabbits this year, and this was our first year doing any of this so it was pretty rough. But, like I told the kids, death is part of life on a ranch. [​IMG]

3. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Understand fully. [​IMG]
    I lost one of my little girls recently and I still get a bit sad now and then.
    [​IMG]

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    I have lived on the ranch almost my entire life and I still can't seem to get past some deaths. Usually those that are unexpected. But I know all our animals have a great home even if it may be short lived.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by