Bad day for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lina500, Dec 4, 2014.

1. lina500

lina500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    We're having a bad day for ducks over here! Our new duck is around 8 weeks old, and we just realized that she is probably a he. We vent sexed her when she was small, but had no idea what we were doing and clearly missed something important, as she's now quite wide-legged, feathers sticking out on the back of her neck like our other drake and in the last day has started to develop a laryngitic quack. We have one male already and two females, and our drake is very rough with the girls. To wit, one of them has two inches of feathers missing from her neck. There's no way that adding another drake into the mix would be a good idea. Getting rid of a male where we live will not be easy. Right now I have to keep my drake locked up because he keeps going into the duck house and disturbing the nest in his un-ending quest to copulate by force. It's December, shouldn't mating season be over here? Or will they just keep going all year because it's hot here?

Over in the duck house, our female went broody on Oct 31st but didn't go full time broody for a few more days. Still way over the 28 day time window, though, so last night when she rolled two eggs out of the nest I candled them and saw one had tried to break out of the shell. I figured it was dead anyway, so I opened the shell up and saw that it was still alive and looked pretty messed up (and not able to survive on its own). It was pretty sad, much harder to deal with than I would have expected. I candled the other 12 eggs that she is sitting on, 2 look like non-starters, 9 are either fully black or black with an air pocket so I have no idea what that means, and one was moving. I have no idea if we are going to get any ducklings. This is our first time trying so I don't know what to do, if anything.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    What were your plans if she hatched out more drakes? Can you just seperate the males and females with their own house and run? I know nothing about candling eggs so can't help you on that part

3. fethr37

fethr37 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    Wow! seems strange the drake is still trying to breed. No sign of my drake getting that way around his hens. You must have longer day light hours and a warmer climate?
    Sometimes we learn the hard way when first starting out. Hope things work out which I'm sure they will.

4. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    We have someone who was willing to take the whole load of ducklings (we wanted to keep one girl). We were going to keep them for a few weeks, though, so we could enjoy duckling cuteness.

Our drake has not let up. Days here are pretty much always the same length (12 hours) because we're near the equator, but it's still very warm. I had been counting on him stopping acting like this by this time of the year. I'm trying not to anthropomorphize because I know they are just ducks, but I am honestly starting to hate our drake because he's so rough with our ducks.

5. fethr37

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    Might be time for a roast duck dinner then. I know a lot of times drakes just don't work out for whatever reason.

6. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    I'd like to see if the new drake is any better than the old drake before I decide, but my co-parent is probably not going to get rid of anyone (let alone make Peking duck out of one of them!)

7. fethr37

Dec 3, 2014
    western washington
    Yeah I know it's tough either way. Two of my hens are old and not laying,but they are like pets and I'd rather continue feeding them vs. throwing them in the stew.

8. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    Well, I have some good news! One of the eggs our duck is sitting on has pipped! I had been ready to throw out the eggs--it's been 41 days since she started getting broody, but my neighbor said to keep letting her sit on them. One of them has already exploded in the nest, from the smell of things. But now one has externally pipped and I can hear tapping inside. Hoping this duckie makes it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by