bad day

pintail_drake2004

Songster
6 Years
Jun 12, 2017
IL
So, I got up this morning at 4am and started taking care of animals. I noticed that my chicks in my brooder were dead. Not much I can do right now, I have to go to work. So I took care of the meat chickens, layers, and rabbits. Then my wife went out after daylight and sent me some pictures.
Inside the brooder
dead birds.jpg
Remains
eaten bird.jpg
attempted entry
attempted entry.jpg
attempted escape
attempted escape.jpg

Just looking at what I saw in the dark, The tracks look like a skunk. I trap year round on my farm to keep the nest raiders down. I haven't caught anything in a few days-which is normal. I was surprised that my brooder is in my meat bird coop, and the animal got into there and tried to escape with 40 meat birds but only killed my chicks in my brooder. This coop has the wire buried 1' deep. The skunk was able to push the door open (even though it was latched) and dig down in the 2" gap to gain entry. I don't have a pic, but he dug out of the brooder under the wall to exit the coop. In total, we lost 14 Easter eggers. I told my wife to not bury the birds, I'll use them for bait this evening after I get off work.

Terrible! Im so sorry! I'm glad the varmint didn't get your meat birds though. Good luck with your trapping. Be sure to come back to show us what you catch.

Sorry about the loss of your beautiful chicks!
This i have learned the hard way many times in the 50 yeaRs we have had chickens.
Many a time i have thought" now that i have added this or that, now my chickens are safe"
Only to have the next preditor come and show me another defect or weekness i had thought was good. Please show us what you catch in your traps tomorrow morning.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom