bad deal

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by encorepistol, Jul 8, 2010.

1. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Well I won some eggs a few weeks back and was forgotten about which was no big deal to me and was dealt with over email. I was told I'd get my eggs shipped out this Tuesday so when I got home today I was excited to see my package setting at the door. Like I always do I took my eggs downstairs and unwrapped each egg and placed it in an egg carton. I then take them in the other downstairs room to let them settle but before I do that I always candle them. There was one cracked egg and it was stinky and noticed it as soon as I opened the box but these things happen. I began candling each egg and started noticing some were odd looking to me since they should be nice and clear looking to start, but these were looking cloudy and even some looked like they were starting to develop . I separated the ones I thought to be good from the others and took one of the ones I thought to be bad outside and cracked it open, bad idea, it was rotten and very stinky to say the least. Well I e-mailed the seller to see what the deal is and see what is said before I get too very upset and leave bad feedback. I pondered on this for a while and thought maybe the heat could have played havoc on them so I went out to my bantam wyandotte pens where I've had eggs setting for at least 2 weeks without a hen setting on them and took all 20 of them and began cracking them open. Not one of these eggs were rotten and it has been terrible hot and humid here for more than 2 weeks. Well I'm waiting to see what the seller has to say and I will keep all correspondence for record and keep posted what I find out and if it gets resolved!! Sorry for the rant!!

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    this happens this time of year, happened to me past couple of years....all is good till late June and then I start getting a stinky egg so I stop buying eggs at that point. They could have been in a truck somewhere where the temp easily exceeded 100, hence the eggs start to develop and then die when they hit temps too low and are jostled around....it's a risk we all take the further into summer we get. I just got offered replacement eggs by 2 sellers a few weeks ago but declined as I think it is too hot now. Hopefully you can work something out with the seller that maybe you can get some at a reduced rate either this fall or early next spring, that is what I am hoping for [​IMG]

eta- not sure how far you are away from the seller but maybe you can work something out with them since you ordered them when it wasn't this hot....maybe they could send replacements with some cool packs?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    Ya its always a chance but I've never had it happen and I get eggs all the time from all over. Actually got eggs last week from further away and when it was hotter and no problem with them. Not saying it couldn't happen just got a bad feeling with these. Have a couple that are spotted up inside also and just afraid to even put any of them in the bator with the eggs I have in there now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by