BAD diarrhea and very listless. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickeypeep101, Jun 18, 2010.

1. chickeypeep101

chickeypeep101 the Awesome Pullet

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    I have a NHR hen who is about a year old and is suffering from really bad diarrhea(like clear liquid) and is very listless. She was fine yesterday but now her butt is very red and irritated and she has poo sticking to her feathers back there. She hardly moves unless you move her out of the nest box, where she stays all the time now. Her comb somehow looks shrunken and her feathers are puffed up constantly also, she isn't laying or eating and she hardly drinks. Any suggestions?

2. chickeypeep101

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    Okay, she is drinking a lot now and I spoon fed her a little plain yogurt and and ate some grass on her own.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Is the discharge clear or whitish? Continuous leakage from the vent can be something called vent gleet. Use the search tool to find out if the symptoms match. It also might be possible that she is laying internally. How is she holding her tail? Normal position or down? How is she walking? Normal gait, or like a penguin? A little more information would help.

4. chickeypeep101

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    She is holding her tail down and doesn't really walk. Also, she is separated from the rest of the flock.

5. chickeypeep101

Jul 23, 2009
    On a horse!
    Okay, she's dead, thanks for the help. [​IMG]

6. ChickenPalace

ChickenPalace Out Of The Brooder

Sorry for your loss, I just lost one today too - same type of symptons. I could not figure out what was wrong. I handled her found no worms, sour crop, mites??? I tried hand feeding her for 4 days but eventually she would not eat anymore. By that time her poop was green which is a sign of starvation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by