Bad dog food may have killed two dogs.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FeaganFarm, Feb 8, 2012.

1. FeaganFarm

FeaganFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010
    One of my clients and friend (im a dog groomer) just lost both of her dogs this week. One yesterday and another today due to renal failure. The only change she made was she bought a bag of purina dog chow lamb and rice on Friday. They were very healthy and had no issues prior to this week. One was an 11 month old bird dog, and the other a 7 yr old aussie mix. So very sad. Just want to let you guys know to maybe watch feeding this food. The food and the aussie mix, Layla are being sent to Texas A & M for testing.

2. annageckos

annageckos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    That's terrible. This is one reason I feed my animals raw food.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Please keep us updated!!! I want to know if it is indeed Purina related... ugh! Poor lady.. :(

4. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Thanks for sharing.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    sad.......but people need to understand....you just can't change food 100 % from one day to the next.

Food should be mixed a little at a time with the old food . Not all animals can eat every type of feed out there, I see people change feed 100% from old to new brand all the time, most have good results...have also seen many get sick from the big change over. birds,dogs,cat and etc.

7. FeaganFarm

FeaganFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2010

She was feeding just purina dog chow, but bought the lamb and rice this time instead of plain. So it wasn't a complete brand change, But was a change none the less. I'll keep this updated when I hear back.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes still a big change.....just something i think people should think about when changing food. a small change they may get sick and you can catch it soon.Plus give the dog time to adjust to the change.

Read the label on most dog food...1st most are corn....even some of those high dollar brands. changing from a grain diet to a meat diet can for sure shock the dog. I don't think to the point of killing both dogs......but sure wasn't good for the older dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by