bad dogs, poor duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by penelope77, Jul 9, 2008.

1. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    our ducks live under the house. that's where they chose. they come out at night and eat all over the yard. early this morning i heard more quacking than usual so my son got up and went out to check. the dogs were attacking them. grrrrrr. i don't know why, they never bother the ducks and max, who usually runs them off, was helping. pack thing i imagine. so when i got up i look out and see just two ducks. then i see the other one wandering around alone. my daughter goes out to get her and brings her in. her back is chewed on pretty bad. i don't know why they decided to attack her. yes i know they are dogs but they usually bother the chickens not the ducks. i can't decide what to do with her. should i put her out in the pen with the new ducks? return her to the flock which is just two others? or put her in a cage alone? i hate to do that because they go crazy when they aren't together. i treated her wound and i'm sure she'll be fine i just can't have her running around the house quacking and pooing. yuck. if i do that i will be spending the day making duck diapers which is scary all on it's own though i have some nice snoopy fabric i'm making diapers with for the human baby coming. okay i'm kidding,no duck diapers. i'm gonna start bringing in the two bad dogs at night again which i had been doing up till lastnight. go figure.

2. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I don't know about ducks, but with chickens, if you put an injured one in with the rest of the flock, they'll all turn on it and sometimes even kill it. I wouldn't risk it. Last time we had a similar problem, we ended up putting the hurt hen in a cage inside of the house and feeding her seperately. That's what I suggest.

3. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well i ended up keeping her inside for most of the day. then the other ducks were outside the front window calling her and she was going nuts. so i put her out there with them, they greeted her happily and they went about their merry way doing what they do. my son caught her and i cleaned her wound again which thankfully wasn't as bad as i thought and she seems to be doing okay. it's been raining so they are in a great mood. i don't think ducks peck at other ducks wounds the way those chickens do. i'm just gonna keep an eye on them but i think they will be okay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by