Bad drake! Good roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GoodEgg, Sep 11, 2007.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Just had to post ... I know others have warned of such a thing. I think I have a drake with too much testosterone or something ...

He has his own ducks, and they breed ALL the time. But yesterday, he was walking past my pullets when they were out and grabbed one!

Poor pullet started squawking, and I came running from across the yard, but the little roo got there first. I'm kinda proud of him ... he's not the one who's been playing at alpha-roo, but he did jump on the drake and get him off the pullet, and he's a banty that probably only weighs about 1/8 what the drake does.

I've been extra-nice to the lil roo since then (not that he's noticed, lol). But I appreciate him. The little alpha-roo (if that's what he turns out to be) was in the coop and missed the whole drama.

I fussed at the drake (held him ... he hates that!) and told him how BAD it was to attack my pullets. I tossed him in the far corner and told him that it REALLY wasn't a smart thing to do while I had the hedge shears in my hand (not that I would have cut his head off like I was threatening). He stayed in his little corner for the rest of the day until I put the chickens up.

And today he stayed MOSTLY away ... but I suspect he'll be back to those tricks again soon. Looks like I'll have to fence the two kinds apart from each other if this keeps up. Or maybe that little roo will step up and keep him in line ... I guess time will tell.

Had to share though!

trish

2. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

omg that poor pullet! What a funny story. Are you sure your Drake is getting enough duck action?[​IMG]

3. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Pullet is fine, thankfully. Although seriously, I can't let those kinds of things keep happening.

And yes, that drake is getting plenty of "action" ... when the poor girls come out in the morning, he usually grabs one before they get a chance to have a drink. He gets "action" all day. I think he needs therapy or hormone shots or something. [​IMG] My other drake is more normal, which is good. Otherwise I don't think the poor ducks could handle it.

Maybe I'll throw a stuffed toy out there or something to divert him a bit. I don't think he'll notice the difference. And it might makes things easier on the ducks.

I am glad to see one of the roos start protecting the girls though. Very glad. So far the most rooish behavior (besides the obvious) was the jap who insists that only the girls get to eat treats (and then himself of course) but NOT the other roos.

trish

4. Rowanm77

Rowanm77 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Blairstown, NJ
    I am so glad to hear from someone else who also has a high-sex-drive drake!!! Charlie (Indian Runner Duck) has my two poor older hens bald and bedraggled from pouncing on them and pulling their neck feathers out. I got some female ducks and this has helped a little but he still does it. I am seriously thinking about out-placing him. Paul, my rooster, hasn't been much help either. Here's a picture of Mr. Testosterone aka Charlie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  5. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    Glad to see I am not alone here with a drake that has his sex drive on overload- my mallard mix is doing the same thing to my pullets - and he has a girl all his own and everyone knows when they are doing the " dirty duck deed" because she is very very load, I have thought about making a duck yard just for them,my other drake who is a pekin cant get the pullets ( they run faster than him ) but he grabs my older hen and tries but he has been calming down. Maybe we should start a therpy group for these sex crazy ducks LOL

6. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I had to separate my ducks from the rest of the flock. The ducks were getting bare necked from the relentless drakes. My ratio was 1 to 1, but we lost a few girls this spring and now we have 9 drakes to 6 ducks. They will stay separated until I get at LEAST a 2 to 1 ratio. I am getting about 12 ducks this weekend on a rescue, so that will be 18 ducks to 9 drakes, so we will see how that works.

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I always have the most problems with the drakes in their first year. They try to mate everything. After that it seems like they are just a little less aggressive..... emphasis on the words "just a little less". LOL.

Chel

8. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Quote:Oh wow, that could be Kupo if you put a pom-pom on him! (Except maybe Kupo's neck is a bit longer and thinner.) Wow ... so I guess Baka and Kupo are most likely Indian Runner Ducks in that case.

Well ... I hope that means Baka will lay plenty of eggs. Sorry to hear the roo hasn't helped. Looks like I may need to be fencing off my yard after all. I didn't want to do that. But having 2 ducks hasn't prevented this.

Mr. Testosterone ... I think I got his brother!

Thanks so much for sharing the pic!

trish

9. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Thanks so much for the replies everyone. I'd read about the possibility of drakes attacking hens/pullets on here, but it's good to have more input.

LOL, you are right chickengirlmn, I think they need a therapy group, or something!

Wow, terrielacy, 9 to 6?!? [​IMG] I can imagine you'd be having troubles! I hope things are better when the new ducks arrive. At least they aren't jealous over their mates, are they? Mine don't care a bit.

and Chel ... sigh ... I hope that means things will get better. My ducks are all just under 6 months, so I hope it's a teenage thing. If he settles down a bit, that would be good. I'm glad nobody can see well into our yard. It would just be embarrassing as things are now. (I can see parents covering their small children's eyes ... sigh)

Thanks, everyone!

trish

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  10. Happyhenz

Happyhenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2007
    Canberra Australia
    OMG Thats funny good on the little roo!

We had a muscovy Drake years ago who was a bit like that.
    He had his own ducks and then would eye off the hens and geese.
    But is favourite object of affection was our old collie dog [​IMG]
    He loved her to death but she was so good natured she never bit.
    Problem solved when he tried to mate our neighbours bull terrier who happend to wander thru our place and he snapped at him killing him instantly [​IMG]
    Poor Duke the drake.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by