Bad Egg!!! Bad Egg!!!! Bleahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonew123, Jun 27, 2011.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have been at this long enough to know better! But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I got exploded on so bad I puked! I'll start at the beginning.

My best broody hen "Blueberry" went broody 3+ weeks ago. After day 3, and I knew she was in the for long haul, I put 12 Silver Laced Brahma eggs under her. I never candled as I trusted her to push out the bad ones like they typically do. She was due to hatch this Friday. I was away all weekend at a chickenstock. I had prepped for kennel for babies with feed and waterers and such. Come home Sunday-Nothing? [​IMG] I thought hmmm they are late..So I waited until today. Went down bright and early expecting to see a few babies? NOPE-so I pulled out my candeler-2 were clear and I tossed them as far as I could in the woods-they exploded before even touching the ground. The rest were very dark -but no noises...I thought I lost them all because all day yesterday she stayed away from nest-6 hours? I caught her and put her back in her cage last night. She hunkered right down on them. So, one by one, today ( after I let Blueberry back out to play) I pipped them-a few had died in shell so I disposed of them..Got to #5 egg and I barely touched it with my pointy tweezers and the sucker exploded so loud and furious I fell back wards from my squatting position. ( NOW..when I pip an egg I hold the egg about 3 inches from my face so I can see in egg without having to open much at all) Not only did it explode but it covered me head to toe with the most putrid stench of rotteness. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I immediately turned around and threw up! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I stopped what I was doing and grabbed the hose outside and sprayed myself down -pajamas and all. [​IMG] [​IMG] There I stood soaking wet-in my pajamas-smelling like I had died from the egg and vomit! I couldn't take a shower asap because the egg had exploded all over broody kennel-waterer-feeder- hay all around it and all. I put an N-95 mask on my face-put my big girl panties on and pulled all of it outside and washed it all-dry heaving the whole time. Put it all back inside barn set up nice and fresh-put 2 dummy eggs in kennel and put her eggs in my emergency hovabator next to it. Cleaned all surrounding areas too... I plan on and hoping those remaining eggs hatch out in bator so I can slip the dried chicks under her today or tomorrow [​IMG] -hoping she'll hunker down on fake eggs for another day or so to keep her broody? Ran up to house where my awaiting children screamed at me for how bad I smell-hello?? I know this! [​IMG] Showered over and over-I can still smell it on me [​IMG] There's only so much scrubbing I can do before my skin peels off!
    I am now an official victim of the death egg! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    [​IMG] I've had them explode in the incubator, but never on me. [​IMG]

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    ick! I've never had an egg explode but I've smelt several right through the shell [​IMG] can't image what it would smell like OUTSIDE the shell [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    Oh gross!!! [​IMG]:sick:sick:sick

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Quote:Oh ick I can imagine how terrible that must have been gross [​IMG]

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I cannot describe the smell-seriously I cant-I've smelled rotten roadkill-given birth to two children-helped animals give birth-..I can honestly say this smell was one of the worsts I have ever experienced! Now Im praying its all in my head , that I still stank, because I have to take my DD to get her cast removed-go to the dentist-grocery shopping-etc today! [​IMG]

7. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Been there done that. [​IMG]
    The nasty rotten goose egg got me.

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:OMG [​IMG] a goose egg?? those are twice as big!!! Never mind the puking I would have passed out!

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    [​IMG]

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:OMG [​IMG] a goose egg?? those are twice as big!!! Never mind the puking I would have passed out!

If I would have passed out the angry broody momma goose would come through the pop door and kill me!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by