Bad Egg Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gryphon, Aug 30, 2014.

1. Gryphon

Gryphon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    Like everyone else, I'm loaded down with eggs this summer. All of my girls have been laying like mad, so I've been carting the eggs and sticking them in a cool place. One day I notice something...Whiffy. I go through all my eggs, flipping them over, and find the culprit, my Cuckoo Marans's egg. She lays huge eggs, 70-75 g. each, but she also seems to have the most issues with laying. For one thing, I've noticed her eggs tend to have a bit of a liquid on them that's slow to dry on them at times. None of my other hens (various breeds) have that. She's also the only one of my hens that's laid a wind egg, only once, but still.

So anyway, the bad egg. I pick it up and notice there's a dot of something oozing out of it, on the lower half of the egg, but more like the side than the bottom. I put it aside, and keep going through my eggs just in case. I also do the float test with some of them, and they all pass easily. I do end up finding another bad egg...And it's from my Cuckoo again. I think back, and remember that I had been cracking eggs for the whites earlier that month, and cracked open a bad one (SO GROSS) and that was ALSO from my Cuckoo. Her eggs sometimes have blood spots in them too, but not always. She's not grossly overweight, and is right in the middle of the pecking order so she's not unduly stressed. Oh, and I decided to plop one of the bad eggs in water to see how it compared, and it didn't float either! :( That's making me doubt just how effective the float test is, or if this is something different that's going on.

Has anyone else had an issue like this before? Do some hens tend to lay bad eggs? Is it not so much the eggs are rotten, as there's something internally wrong with her?

2. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Are her shells completely intact (like no cracks or holes)? She could have a bacterial infection in her oviduct.

3. Pinkaboo

Pinkaboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2014
    Cornwall in the UK
    What's a wind egg?

4. JMarch

JMarch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    it's a tiny egg with no yolk. Usually it'll have a speck of flesh in it that's broken loose from the ovary or oviduct and a tiny yolkless egg forms around it. They're edible.

5. Gryphon

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    As far as I know her eggs have no cracks or holes. When I break them open the shells are strong. I have noticed that some of them have thicker spots, almost like wrinkles.

6. Gryphon

May 7, 2012
    Iowa
    [​IMG]
    Urg, ok so I open up my nest box to find three lovely eggs and another wind egg from my Cuckoo Marans. I try blowing it out, but it was so thin it crumpled. I have no idea how it didn't break in the nest. When I crack it open, I notice a couple of odd lumpy things. Could it just be some whatever from there being no yolk? I'm pretty mistrustful of anything she lays from this point on. :/

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by