Bad Egg Odor Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by flgardengirl, Jan 13, 2010.

1. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    This morning I found a bad egg in the bator..it really stunk horribly. I got it out and it hadn't exploded or oozed any. I quickly cleaned out the bator just in case and put my egg turner back in with the other 40 eggs in it. The thing is it still smells just a little in there. I sniffed the other eggs and there is not any bad smelling ones...I think the smell is just in the bator walls or something. My question is will the odor even if it is faint, cause the other eggs to go bad?? Anyone else had this happen and were the other eggs okay? Thanks

2. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:the smell won't cause it to go bad, but I would try to clean your bator alot and then do an eggtopsy on that egg. the bacteria cause the bad smell, so that means if your reelly worried about it, you should bleach it.

3. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    Hi, I bleached out the bottom of it and wiped the top out and cleaned the egg turner where the egg was. It still has that nasty faint odor though. I always thought where there was an odor there was a gas (bacterial etc). I sure hope it is all out of there. I spent way too much on those eggs for them to be ruined lol.

4. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Quote:if you've bleached it and done most that you can I would just leave it. It probably will go away on it's own

5. flgardengirl

Dec 2, 2009
    I just went to smell the bator again and it seems like it was getting worse again now. Smelled all the eggs again and bingo found another bad one....darn!! Same kind as the last one. Pulled it out, sure hope that is the end of the problem this is getting discouraging. They are supposed to go into lockdown on Friday lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by