Bad egg spoil others? Yes? No?

Goat_Walker

I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Maryland
To start with we are talking about ducks.

Went out to check on my buff's eggs. One is green, so im guessing that it is bad.

Will this bad egg spoil the rest?

She currently has 6 eggs including the bad one. She may have more but im not sure since she is sitting on them now.
should i take it out or leave it in there?

Also, she ( my buff) likes to climb up my goat ladder on to the top of the rabbit pens. She has been know to fly from there out of the enclosure. When i went out this morning she was out, loose. But of course she stayed right next to the fence trying to get in.

My whole problem is that im hoping she didnt lay an egg out there, and would the flight and most likely clumsy landing broken an egg inside of her?
It has only been about an hour since i found her and she isnt acting weird, but ive known of chickens who have died from a broken egg.

Definately removed any spoiled eggs. They may explode and then that will spray bacteria all over the good eggs and may ruin the hatch. Not to mention ruin your appetite with the smell...
sickbyc.gif

Just keep an eye on your escapee. You are right to be concerned about a fall. Is this your broody hen also? If so, I'd be extra concerned just because if she gets out and can't get back in the eggs may cool too much.

Is there a way you can secure your run so she can't get over the top? Even plastic deer netting or bird netting will keep chickens IN...

Yes, the broody hen is the one making the escape. I took down the ladder so she has nothing to climb on and im hoping that she stays in , there really is no other way out.

there really isnt a way to secure it like that, just becuase of the way it is set up.

Would she notice if the spoiled egg is gone? would she be upset by that?

Just went outside looks like 2 bad eggs
sad.png

but i cant tell if they are really bad or if i just looking at them wrong
sad.png
(

She won't care if you just take one egg away, only if you take all of them. Trust me, any minor stress you cause the hen by taking that egg away is offset by the great benefit you are doing your hen if it were to explode or contaminate the rest of the nest.

Im just afraid I might take it out and it be ok, im tempted to go take pics, but if I move the eggs any, will it hurt them?

Back
Top Bottom