Bad egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by katharine, Feb 7, 2013.

1. katharine

katharine Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2007
    Our two hens have laid about 8 eggs. The first few were quite yummy. Then we had one soft shell egg. Then I ate two eggs that tasted bad. They were rubbery but also this weird sort of...powdery. I do not think it is how I cooked them. Any ideas? They eat store bought food, nuts and seeds I give and they have free yard time too.

thanks

2. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    hello
    do you give them the egg layer food too ?

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    They need calcium. Go to the feed store and buy some osyster shell in a bag. Fill a small cup with it and put it in the coop. They will eat it as needed. The rooster will leave it alone unless he needs a bit.
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. ichoudhury

ichoudhury Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Stone Mountain
    I usually mix Oyster shell, Rock dust, and Diatomaceous Earth with their feed. I do still get the soft-shell rarely from one specific hen (I haven't identified her) but figured, she may just skip those calcium sometimes, and eggs turns that way.

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    A lack of calcium is almost never the cause of soft shelled eggs. It is almost always the result of a virus infection or sometimes it is caused by an overly fat or obese hen who is being killed with kindness. Old age is next.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  6. katharine

Jul 19, 2007
    sorry , I guess, I wasn't clear. I think the soft shell egg was just a one time thing. Now they both lay nice (looking eggs) but they TASTE bad. the white is rubbery and sort of chalky. I have fried them and boiled them. Any ideas about the texture of the egg white?

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Could they have frozen?

8. katharine

Jul 19, 2007
    no, we live in Hawaii BUT it IS like that-sort of a weird texture change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by