bad egggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mr300win, Jan 22, 2010.

1. mr300win

mr300win Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    just wondering if any one had any thoughts about whether a broody hen could tell which eggs are bad and which are good call me crazy but i have had hens literally kick eggs out of the nest box around days 10 to 16 of incubation maybe less or more . That were not fertile while the ones she sat on were but have had the same hens left with 2 to 3 eggs after all the others were hatched so basically can a hen tell if a egg is rotten

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    When you find an egg out of the nest box, 9 out of 10 times the egg is bad. Mother Nature has given the hen a sixth sense about her hatching ability. Ince in awhile she will kick a good one, but not othen.

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    My DH always said that if they get kicked out to throw them away cause mama knows best!

4. Chic Chick

Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    East Central Alberta
    Yes the hens must be able to feel or smell which eggs are good and which ones aren't and I'd toss out the ones a broody kicks out of the nest. I have a broody sitting on eggs due to hatch next week, and last week I candled them and took out the clears and put the rest back and so far she's sitting on the ones left... [​IMG]

5. mr300win

mr300win Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2009
    Bladen County NC
    i always thought hens had a sixth sense when i comes to good eggs and bad eggs i came to that conclusion years ago not trying to brag but i have 2 broodies sittng as we speak and cant wait to see what happens i usually let mother nature take its corse and let the mother rear the chicks after they hatch i wish someone would open a broodie hen post so we could post pics of our broodies

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Mama hen was always right and I've learned to trust her judgement. I think she can smell or hear something that we can't. Somehow she always knows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by