Bad Eggs, when to toss, how to be sure?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Parson's Wife, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    When is the latest you should wait to toss eggs that are iffy?
    I'm pretty sure I recognize blood rings, & the clear...anything else that is dark is to stay till day 21 or so, right?

I don't want eggs to explode, I've read that they will. Question #2 will they stink before they explode?

Today is day 14, should I just wait? Or toss the ones that are clear, and leave the ones with possible blood rings?

Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    At day 14 you should be able to clearly recognize the developing eggs. They will have veins running all through them. Yes toss the clear ones and the ones that have blood rings.

I have only had one egg go bad and I bought from a lady that let them sit out in the heat during a family emergency then decided to ship the old eggs to me instead of shipping fresh ones. It started to weep, I caught it before anything bad happened.

I think you will smell a problem or have weeping before an egg will explode. If you know they are fresh and are confident in the person you bought them from you should not have a problem with the ones that are "iffy".

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I very rarely toss one before day 14 unless there's an obvious blood ring or it's seeping or smells. I tossed one a long time ago and then saw it was alive and well. I never want to do that again!!

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I have never had any egg explode while being incubated. As others have said, if the eggs are fresh, you have plenty of time to decide if they are good or not before they will "go bad"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by