Bad eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Duck Ladie, Mar 16, 2017.

1. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    So I have a bunch of ducks. Yesterday I cracked open five eggs, two of them had tiny blood spots. I cracked two open today and the second had a big meat spot the size of my pink fingernail. I read common egg quality problems, and it seems this happens naturally once in awhile, but what about the blood spots? How do i find out the cause? Should I be worried? Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Blood spots are from ruptured blood vessels. They often show up in birds that had some disturbance the day before. A hard landing, flying into a wall, ducks fighting, things like that, so keeping disturbances down can help. Otherwise sometimes it's hereditary.

3. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    Thanks

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You can find information on blood spots and meat spots here. This is more for commercial operations than us but it gives some good information.

Egg Quality Handbook
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

A common cause of blood spots is that the yolk is enclosed in a membrane while it is developing inside the hen. When the yolk is released to start its journey through the hen’s internal egg-making factory, that membrane splits. That membrane contains a lot of blood vessels, but there is usually a line where it splits that has no blood vessels. At least that’s the way it’s supposed to work. Way too often though there is a blood vessel across that line. When that happens you get some blood on the yolk. With a lot of chickens that’s a pretty rare occurrence but I’ve had some that consistently have a blood spot. There is just something wrong with the hen.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I have one hen that routinely has blood spots or meat spots in her eggs. As I can tell which eggs are hers versus the other chickens (I assume the same applies to ducks, but if you have a larger flock or all the same breeds, that might be difficult), I simply don't use hers for hard boiling and instead scramble, poach or bake with hers, so I can pick out any meat spots present.

The eggs are still safe to eat, it just doesn't look appetizing so I'd rather not serve anyone a boiled egg with spots or discoloration.

6. Denice868

Denice868 New Egg

Feb 16, 2017
    What is a meat spot? Sorry for my ignorance im pretty new at chickens. I also have one hen with aa blood spot in the white of the egg. Every egg. She has a good diet and is free range. I was told it could be stress. Could it be heat stress? Qld is very hot and the chickens pant. Not sure if this could be why.

7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you follow the link in my post above you can read about blood spots and meat spots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by