Bad Experience with Bresse Farms in Pontotoc, MS

Pics

KW Farms

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 27, 2009
Wapato, WA
I had a terrible experience with Bresse Farms (bressefarms.com) in Pototoc, MS. I ordered 20 Swedish Flower Hen chicks @ $9.99 each on 2/9/21 totaling $259.80 (including $60 for shipping.) I contacted them about a shipping date and Justin (owner) said they were shooting for shipment on 3/8/21. All good! The chicks actually ended up shipping two months later on 4/6/21. So shipping got delayed by a month. That's okay, I know things happen. They were received on 4/8/21. There were 21 chicks - 1 deceased on arrival, 20 others active and healthy. Shipping box was great. Two heat packs and four cups filled with growgel. I thought everything was great until I started inspecting these chicks more carefully. I soon found out my order was completely wrong. Here's what I received:

11 Rhode Island Reds
6 Swedish Flower Hens (2 with vaulted skulls)
2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
1 Blue Bresse
1 Mystery Chick (Deceased, did not examine)

Once I realized I had a bunch of Rhode Island Reds in the order, I contacted Justin (owner). I sent him high quality photos of the chicks and asked politely if there was a mistake because these look like Rhode Island Reds. Keep in mind this farm also raises Bresse (black, blue, white), Rhode Island Reds, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. He reassured me there was no mistake and that I had 20 Swedish Flower Hens. However, contradicting himself he did say there should be 4-5 RIRs there for additional warmth. Well, I only received one extra chick. He said to let them develop and if they made a mistake they would make it right. I left it at that for the time being, but started speaking with Swedish Flower Hen breeders. All of them said these were definitely not Swedish Flower Hens. I then examined the chicks further and found two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes in the group. Their flat combs made it obvious. Lastly, I realized a blue chick was growing larger than the others and had blue legs and beak. Swedish Flowers legs/beaks should be yellow or white. It is definitely a blue Bresse. There were also two chicks with vaulted skulls. I believe these are Swedish Flower Hens. However, this is a trait culled for, but normally you would not get these in the first place as it comes from breeding crested to crested. Only non-crested should be bred to crested so you do not have this problem. The remaining four chicks appear to be Swedish Flower Hens.

After learning all this, I contacted Justin for the second time and called him out on it. He finally admitted that they were Rhode Island Reds. He claimed my order got messed up from a computer system error and that I instead received 9 RIRs and 11 SFHs. Well that was not correct either. He forgot to explain why there are 11 RIRs, 2 BLRWs, and 1 BB chick as well. When I sent him photos clearly showing BLRWs, he admitted that they definitely were BLRWs. He did not comment on the blue Bresse chick. Not only did he reassure me the first time I asked (and sent photos) that there was no mistake, but the packing label on my box also says 21 Swedish Flower Hens. I do not believe this was an accident. I believe he did not have 20 Swedish Flower Hens to fulfill my order, so instead sent what he had on hand. My order had been delayed one month and he also told me in March that they had poor hatch rates at that time due to weather. I have since be made aware that I'm not the only one who has had this same issue from other customers of Bresse Farms.

Bresse Farms has refunded me $120 of the $259.80 I paid them, as of now. Only 6 are the breed I ordered and 2 of those have vaulted skulls (culls). So I should get back at least $140 for the 14 I did not receive. Justin said he would send the remaining $20, but as of now has not. To say I'm disappointed in my experience with Bresse Farms is an understatement. I'm now left to care for and find homes for almost my entire order, along with being out $140!

Attachments

• image0 (6).jpeg
    image0 (6).jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_8325.JPG
    IMG_8325.JPG
    313.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8339.JPG
    IMG_8339.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8343.JPG
    IMG_8343.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_8345.JPG
    IMG_8345.JPG
    312.6 KB · Views: 80
  • chick1.jpg
    chick1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 80
  • chick2.png
    chick2.png
    607 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Oh I would be livid. Not just because of the wrong breeds (I've unfortunately had that happen a few times) but it makes you wonder how their breeding really is since you got deformed chicks. What a shame. Good breeders are hard to come by.
Yes, extremely disappointing. I’d like to resell these chicks right now to recoup some of the losses, but I don’t even feel good about that not knowing if these are straight run, cockerels, or pullets...if they’re even purebred or mixed...or poor quality...will they have health issues? I just don’t know. Lost all trust in the breeder. With what I’ve experienced though, I have to assume quality is not of his concern and these might not be appropriate to sell, at least not until they’ve grown out and I can see what I’m dealing with. Might just find a neighbor or someone to gift them to. We were wanting to keep a flock of only Swedish Flower Hens so this has definitely put a dent in our plans. Especially since I’ve been passing up other breeders all spring waiting for these to arrive.

I had a terrible experience with Bresse Farms (bressefarms.com) in Pototoc, MS. I ordered 20 Swedish Flower Hen chicks @ $9.99 each on 2/9/21 totaling $259.80 (including $60 for shipping.) I contacted them about a shipping date and Justin (owner) said they were shooting for shipment on 3/8/21. All good! The chicks actually ended up shipping two months later on 4/6/21. So shipping got delayed by a month. That's okay, I know things happen. They were received on 4/8/21. There were 21 chicks - 1 deceased on arrival, 20 others active and healthy. Shipping box was great. Two heat packs and four cups filled with growgel. I thought everything was great until I started inspecting these chicks more carefully. I soon found out my order was completely wrong. Here's what I received:

11 Rhode Island Reds
6 Swedish Flower Hens (2 with vaulted skulls)
2 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes
1 Blue Bresse
1 Mystery Chick (Deceased, did not examine)

Once I realized I had a bunch of Rhode Island Reds in the order, I contacted Justin (owner). I sent him high quality photos of the chicks and asked politely if there was a mistake because these look like Rhode Island Reds. Keep in mind this farm also raises Bresse (black, blue, white), Rhode Island Reds, and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. He reassured me there was no mistake and that I had 20 Swedish Flower Hens. However, contradicting himself he did say there should be 4-5 RIRs there for additional warmth. Well, I only received one extra chick. He said to let them develop and if they made a mistake they would make it right. I left it at that for the time being, but started speaking with Swedish Flower Hen breeders. All of them said these were definitely not Swedish Flower Hens. I then examined the chicks further and found two Blue Laced Red Wyandottes in the group. Their flat combs made it obvious. Lastly, I realized a blue chick was growing larger than the others and had blue legs and beak. Swedish Flowers legs/beaks should be yellow or white. It is definitely a blue Bresse. There were also two chicks with vaulted skulls. I believe these are Swedish Flower Hens. However, this is a trait culled for, but normally you would not get these in the first place as it comes from breeding crested to crested. Only non-crested should be bred to crested so you do not have this problem. The remaining four chicks appear to be Swedish Flower Hens.

After learning all this, I contacted Justin for the second time and called him out on it. He finally admitted that they were Rhode Island Reds. He claimed my order got messed up from a computer system error and that I instead received 9 RIRs and 11 SFHs. Well that was not correct either. He forgot to explain why there are 11 RIRs, 2 BLRWs, and 1 BB chick as well. When I sent him photos clearly showing BLRWs, he admitted that they definitely were BLRWs. He did not comment on the blue Bresse chick. Not only did he reassure me the first time I asked (and sent photos) that there was no mistake, but the packing label on my box also says 21 Swedish Flower Hens. I do not believe this was an accident. I believe he did not have 20 Swedish Flower Hens to fulfill my order, so instead sent what he had on hand. My order had been delayed one month and he also told me in March that they had poor hatch rates at that time due to weather. I have since be made aware that I'm not the only one who has had this same issue from other customers of Bresse Farms.

Bresse Farms has refunded me $120 of the $259.80 I paid them, as of now. Only 6 are the breed I ordered and 2 of those have vaulted skulls (culls). So I should get back at least $140 for the 14 I did not receive. Justin said he would send the remaining $20, but as of now has not. To say I'm disappointed in my experience with Bresse Farms is an understatement. I'm now left to care for and find homes for almost my entire order, along with being out $140!
Wow. I would be extremely angry about this. Almost a $300 order and they can't even give you the right birds. How irresponsible. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope everything works out and they do refund the money. Worst case, I would contact the bank and let them know. It could be considered a scam since he took your money and gave you a false 'product'.

Yes, extremely disappointing. I’d like to resell these chicks right now to recoup some of the losses, but I don’t even feel good about that not knowing if these are straight run, cockerels, or pullets...if they’re even purebred or mixed...or poor quality...will they have health issues? I just don’t know. Lost all trust in the breeder. With what I’ve experienced though, I have to assume quality is not of his concern and these might not be appropriate to sell, at least not until they’ve grown out and I can see what I’m dealing with. Might just find a neighbor or someone to gift them to. We were wanting to keep a flock of only Swedish Flower Hens so this has definitely put a dent in our plans. Especially since I’ve been passing up other breeders all spring waiting for these to arrive.

I definately would not order from them again, nor refer anyone to them.

Also, to add an update. Justin PayPaled me $20 more this evening after I texted a reminder. Although, he sent it “goods & services” instead of going to my actual order payment and refunding it the proper way. So PayPal charged me the service fee. I got like $19.18 or something. LOL Honestly, I feel like he did that to be petty. Obviously I don’t care about cents, but it’s just another example of him being unprofessional.

Also, to add an update. Justin PayPaled me $20 more this evening after I texted a reminder. Although, he sent it “goods & services” instead of going to my actual order payment and refunding it the proper way. So PayPal charged me the service fee. I got like $19.18 or something. LOL Honestly, I feel like he did that to be petty. Obviously I don’t care about cents, but it’s just another example of him being unprofessional.

It's just the principle of it.

Yes I bought a dozen Cream Crested Legbar hatching eggs from him and he sent 11 but charged me for a dozen. 6 of those eggs were pullet eggs and only 3 of the 11 were even fertile. I got one to hatch.
I told him I wasn't happy with any of those things, and he did offer to send me chicks if I didn't get any to hatch. I'm done with that company.

I've been to Bresse Farms, because I was excited to find a breeder so close that carried a few of the breeds I was interested in. They didn't really have any biosecurity protocols in place, which was the first thing that made me uncomfortable. They had me come into their 'office' (I was there to get some hatching eggs) which was a large shed with brooder boxes lining one wall and cages in rows on the other side with juvenile birds. They then offered to give me a tour, which really isn't a great idea for several reasons...they don't know me, I'm from out of state, and I have chickens myself.

I actually had brought along a separate set of shoes to change into when I got there to protect my own flock as I had no idea how seriously they took things (lucky I did) and being both curious and awkward enough to have a difficult time turning things like that down, I took a look. I am not surprised that you ended up with some chicks with vaulted skulls. They have open air coop/runs (closed on only one side with a roof) for each breed; not that surprising for the South but these things were not large enough for all of the chickens they had in each. Each pen had several roosters and hens...I remember wondering how they kept all the boys from fighting because there were like 40-50 some odd birds per pen and these things couldn't have been more than 10 foot by 15...maybe 20 ft but I doubt it. The only exception was the Deathlayer pen, but according to him that's because they were not having a lot of luck keeping them alive.

If I remember correctly, most of the birds in the Swedish Flower Hen pen were crested. He made a comment about people loving the crests, so that's probably intentional.

Back
Top Bottom