1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad Friday

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LedgeWoods, Mar 30, 2012.

1. LedgeWoods

LedgeWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Got a call at work this afternoon from the kids who were borderline hysterical. Something(s) had attacked the chickens as they free ranged early this afternoon. I headed home and just had a pit in my stomach as I pulled into the driveway. Feather piles everywhere, one dead buff lying in the field and the kids walking around looking under trees. DH had gotten home before me and was helping look for "survivors." At that point they had 12 of the girls in the coop (out of 27!). We found 4 more chickens alive in the woods and hiding under some cedars in the yard. Then we started finding the dead chickens buried all over the place - over a good 2 acre area! ...in the sand pile, in wood shavings, in leaves, in pine needles, in the plowed field. That pit in my stomach had turned into a crater. The attack happened in about an hour (between 12:30-1:40 p.m). Found 7 dead/buried and have 4 MIA.

99% sure I'm up against a fox (or two)...maybe looking to feed a den of kits. Now we've had fox nearby and on our property since our chicken adventure began 2 years ago. This is the first time we had an attack. Our indoor/outdoor cat that actually fended off a fox by our garden last summer, was diagnosed with liver cancer last week and has not been outside for almost 2 weeks. I'm thinking he was the fox deterrent and now that he's not outside laying down the law, the fox is thinking "Game ON!"

So between the chicken massacre and our family pet on the verge of death...it's been an AWEFUL day. Pretty sure that although I bought a couple lottery tickets, I'm not wielding the right kind of luck to win over $500 million.

UPDATE...Daisy just showed up outside the coop, so I'm up to 17 survivors...

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

So sorry to hear that, If you have a neighbor dog you like maybe you can have him mark around- my greyhound's scent keeps our foxes out of the fenced areas and far from the coop.

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    that's really rotten. i haven't had to deal w/predators yet, but i can only imagine to see your chickens laying & burried all over the place. really sorry for you and your family. sorry about your cat too. i do know what that's like.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] You need a good dog.

5. LedgeWoods

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Update...all girls accounted for. The last two came out from their hiding places at 7:45 tonight. Final count...8 killed and 19 survivors...soon to add a fox or two to the list of deceased. Grrrrr!
    Zazouse...I agree. Might have to explore that avenue...

6. Amy S

Amy S Chillin' With My Peeps

Fantastic news!!!! [​IMG]

7. LedgeWoods

Apr 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Sat this morning with a varmint call and 17cal. Fox was a no show. Worked outside in garden and yard most of the day. At 2:30 DH n kids n I checked on the salmon smoking in the smokehouse near coop then walked about 50 yards away to a woodpile. That p.o.s. fox must've been stalking. No 5 minutes after we were just by the coop the fox starts chasing chickens across the lawn! Of course none of us had a gun on us ...which will not happen again! It didn't get any of the girls thankfully. DH and DD ran after it while me and DS ran for the guns. It was out of sight before we could get a shot off.
    Grrrr!

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope you get it soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by