1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad Frizzle?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kalisgirl, May 1, 2007.

1. kalisgirl

kalisgirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    Winston Salem,NC
    Hi guys. Here is our 2 week old Black Frizzle Cochin from MM. We were excited when his wings started coming in frizzled, but it seems the rest of him isn't feathering at all. We've never had a frizzle before. Is this normal or do we have a bad frizzle?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. Saltiena

Saltiena Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Peach Bottom
    i think the frizzleness [​IMG] is comming in well , just wait a week or so and see, it's still early
    btw-what did you use as a backround for your phote it's very pretty

Last edited: May 1, 2007
  3. kalisgirl

Apr 5, 2007
    Winston Salem,NC
    Thanks for your reply. I was worried the little guy was going to be naked. We use my trusty old blue towel to take our chick pics.

4. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Some birds have what is called a "slow feathering" gene, so I dont worry if one seems to be taking a long time to feather in. However, sometimes frizzle birds that are offspring of two frizzle parents, have a double dose of frizzle (makes them a frazzle) and never properly feather in. The genetics make their feathers very brittle and sparse.

Yours is still young.... give it time.

chel

5. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I think it is the cutest. I have one black silkie chick that is 11 days old and his/her wings are doing that. So I guess I have a frizzled silkie. I knew that was a possibility but with only two silkies making it, I figured I would just get regular black silkies. I am so excited to see. Actually, the lady says it would be called a blue sizzle. I will try to post pics later. They are on my home computer.

Marie

6. kalisgirl

Apr 5, 2007
    Winston Salem,NC
    That will be really fun to watch grow up. I would love to see pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by