Bad girls and their love of hay bales

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bakerjw, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    My girls absolutely love hay bales. I have a shelf on the back of the coop where I put bales to keep them dry and out of the weather. Once I take hay out of a bale I stand it on end propped against the roof to keep the girls from using it as a nest. Well I came out to the run the other afternoon and one of the girls had managed to scratch out the side of a half bale causing most of it to fall into the run where it was promptly scattered similar to kids jumping in a pile of leaves. Meanwhile all of my hens are standing there with the "I didn't do it" look.

If you want to see chickens in their glory then give them a bale of hay to demolish.

2. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Haha - We keep all our chickens and turkeys in a large pole barn with our ponies and the hay is stacked against one wall. My girls can get hay out when it is fully tied! But don't they look happy? It's good for them to have the greens so I don't mind too much. The innocent looks on their faces is priceless!

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Even better is wheat straw bales. I get it just to entertain them. They LOVE to pull it apart looking for the bits of wheat still there, then scratch through the straw once it's all pulled apart. One bale will entertain them for weeks.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    You are so right. I have a section in my front yard where I put grass see this fall. I covered the entire area with straw. I've cut it a few time and rakes the leave so most of the straw is gone. But everywhere the straw is they did, where the straw ain't, they don't. Pine straw, leaves, it does not matter. If something is there to dig in they do.[​IMG]

5. RedheadErin

RedheadErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Oh absolutely! Mine had a ball with the dry leaves this fall. The waded around in them up to their chests, rolled around, and buried themselves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by