bad hatches

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skelly, Jun 13, 2011.

1. skelly

skelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    ripley
    Anyone else having trouble hatching lately?
    My first 2 hatches did really well but since the middle of May my hatches have been awful.The one I have hatching now I have only gotten 3 out of 36 to hatch out.Temp and humidity have been steady and the eggs are from my hens so it wasn't due to shipping.
    They were moving on day 17 and it is really starting to get depressing not getting them to hatch out.

2. ChickieWoo

ChickieWoo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Michigan
    My first hatch went terribly wrong. I did an egg-topsy and they all died in their early stages. Now I'm trying it again and my 3 thermometers are giving me mixed readings. I'm not sure if my bator is running too hot (102 - 103) or cool (97 - 98). *sigh. Here I was thinking this was going to be easy.

3. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    you can try what i do i set my eggs by the moon and are you putting the eggs pointed end down in the turner?

4. skelly

skelly Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2010
    ripley
    well I candled the ones that are due this weekend and had 3 that had stopped but the rest are moving.So I guess I will say a prayer and cross my fingers.
    I do think that the weather here played a factor.It turned of so hot and humid the past 2 weeks.And they are others in the area that said they were having the same problems.

5. bunnibird55

bunnibird55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I have had some terrible hatches the last 2 times. My first hatch was wonderful, except I got 15 cockrels and only 4 pullets. The second hatch had some shipped eggs that were clear but my eggs and the fertile shipped ones hatched out great and I got some beautiful little Buckeyes. My third hatch did really great with Buckeyes and New Hampshires. Then I started getting into turkey eggs and the bottom fell out of my hatching. I only had one little guy hatch alive out of 16 shipped eggs and he WAS doing great....today he somehow jumped out of his brooder - I had a screen over most of the top and it is 2.5 ft deep....and my little maltese rescue thought it was a squeaky toy....I have cried and screamed at the dog most of the night, but ultimately I know it is my fault....I am supposed to be smarter than the dog and turkey and I failed. [​IMG] I have 24 more turkey eggs in one incubator on day 8, 20 guinea eggs in the same bator and 2 out of 3 duck eggs just hatched ok out of my lock-down bator and I have 40 guinea eggs on lock-down...... At the rate things are going for me I am so depressed - I think I better put the bators in storage after I get these eggs done. Any insight as to what is causing this would be helpful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by