Bad head injury. Any suggestions???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iluvsedward, Feb 22, 2011.

1. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    My pullet was put outside a few days ago with the other pullets because she was hatched after they were, I knew it would be hard to have them together but I did it anyway. I checked on her to find her in a corner with the back of her head mauled it looks pretty bad, I took her back inside but I am going to put her back out in a different cage soon I have been putting hydrogen peroxide and neosporin on the areas. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I will post a pic soon.

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Maybe some bluekote too, 'cause if they see the bloody area they are going to peck it again. I would keep her away from the others until she heals and then maybe re-introduce slowly.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I wouldn't use peroxide more than once. Kills new skin cells. If you need to clean it again, I would use very mild soapy water or saline.

4. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I'm going to put her in a seperate cage probly today.
    thanks

5. Chicken Hugger!

Chicken Hugger! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I have a hen that had the same problem. I put blukote on it and seprated her from my flock. I gave her plenty of treats and she is fine now. The only thing is where they pecked her, there are no feathers one the spot where the wound was. She healed really fast and now has a roomie that was an only hatch from a batch of Buckeye eggs, and they are best buds

6. iluvsedward

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I think she will make it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by