Bad heart?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GBov, Aug 30, 2010.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    I just lost one of my egg girls [​IMG]

She was slower than the others so picked her up last week and she was very thin. She didnt seem stressed or in pain or even droopy - flipped her up and checked her vent and gently squeezed her tum to see if she had any hardness or blockages - just slower and sleeper than the rest.

As no one was bothering her I left her in with the other girls and found her this morning dead in her favorite spot in the log pile. She was just nestled down so she seemed to have gone off peacefully.

I have noticed when processing birds raised from the eggs from my layers that some of them seem to have small flabby hearts. The biggest gentlest roo had a heart about half the size it should have been adn was very soft and flabby. Am thinking that his heart kept him slow and gentle.

Would a bad heart have killed my girl?

All the other girls are bright enough so dont think I have any illness in my flock but one cant help worrying.

2. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Did you do a neocropsy on her to see if the faint heart syndorme was affecting her?

3. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Could be heart - did you autopsy her? Same symptoms in that hen could be mites??

4. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    How to perform an avian neocropsy by DVM: here

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You are not feeding your birds medicated feed by chance?

6. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Medicated food will cause problems, but I don't think it relates to the heart. Medicated feed damages the liver moreso than the heart, unless the unfiltered blood causes heart problems?

7. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Nope, didnt necropsy her as we were on our way out of the house and I didnt think we would be back all day. On second thought I should have tossed her into the fridge but just threw her to the dog. Its second nature to throw quail bits to the dog so habit just took over [​IMG]

Feed non medicated feed and I have checked every (well, most every) bird processed for any creapy crawlies and havnt seen any.

As I eat the livers I do inspect them closely and so far they are all nice and firm and dark and tasty [​IMG]

Mites eh, what do they look like when their at home?

Havnt seen any lice or ticks and beaks and legs are all strong and clean but we do have one finch (cages linked by the ends) that is showing feather loss across her neck........

Would mites cause death without showing up? Would have thought it would take thousands of the things to do a bird in?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  8. Whitehouse Quail

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Definitely not. You would be able to tell before they killed them. It could be an internal parasite, like coccidiosis since they had no medication.

(Can't live with meds, can't live without them! [​IMG] )

9. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:Definitely not. You would be able to tell before they killed them. It could be an internal parasite, like coccidiosis since they had no medication.

or intestinal worms...

10. GBov

Apr 3, 2009

or intestinal worms...

Wouldnt a gut load of worms show up when cleaning other birds for dinner duty? Havnt seen worms in guts or poops yet so wouldnt think they could kill one bird in a flock.

WISH I had cut her open now!

All the rest of the girls are doing just fine. Wouldnt coccidiosis show up in more than one bird?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by