BAD HEAT LAMP BULBS?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ringtailtwister, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Ringtailtwister

Ringtailtwister Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2015
    Middle, Tennessee
    I am having trouble with my heat lamp bulbs burning out after using them for just a few days. Has anyone had this problem or know what to do about it? I am using them in my chicken house not a brooder.[​IMG]

2. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    Are you using a fixture with a ceramic socket? Plastic ones will melt.

3. Ringtailtwister

Jul 5, 2015
    Middle, Tennessee
    Yes and it is rated for 250/300 watt bulbs. The bulbs just won't last very long.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's not normal, either your lamp is bad or the bulbs, or possibly you are getting surges through your socket. I would start with a new lamp, than bulb, if you're still blowing them there's something wrong with your outlet or wiring.

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Generally this is caused by one or more of four things...

1. Electrical fluctuations and surges, even switching on and off repeatably...
    2. Excess heat build up, generally caused by too small of a reflector or containment...
    3. Moving, shaking or jarring of the bulb due to not being propelry mounted...
    4. Debris build up on the build up on the bulb, dust build up with create excess heat while moisture can cause the glass to fracture...

Either way there are also fire risk to consider if you are using heat bulbs in a hen house, where there is lots of flammables and dust builds up as well as the potential for the bulb getting knocked around by the birds...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  6. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have had that problem in the past too. Whenever the lamps got jostled around a lot the bulbs would blow out. Eventually I found how to make them more stable and haven't had another one blow out yet.

7. Ringtailtwister

Jul 5, 2015
    Middle, Tennessee
    Well I've had another red bulb burn out over my brooder. I bought it about a week ago and they're breaking the bank. I live in a small town and don't have much of a selection. These bulbs are made in China and I think the brand is FEIT. Wish I could find some G.E. or name brand bulbs maybe they would last longer. Does anyone know how to heat a brooder any other way? HELP!!!![​IMG]

8. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Stop using the 250 watt bulbs, switch to either 125 heat bulb or even a 100 watt bulb. Make sure your heat lamp has a ceramic socket too.

9. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Order a 100W and 150W one of these from this seller, you should have them in about a week, and it will give you some adjustment to taper them off the heat...

I have personally ordered several of these from this seller in multiple Wattages for my brooders as well as my reptiles and they work great and arrive promptly...

As said make sure to use a ceramic/porcelain fixture they will cook the plastic/bakelite ones...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201360857383

10. Ringtailtwister

Jul 5, 2015
    Middle, Tennessee
    My lamp has a ceramic/porcelain fixture rated for 300w what does lowering the bulb wattage do to it? Thank for the reply.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by