Bad idea for brother sister mating?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by slickchik, Jan 5, 2010.

1. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    I have two modern game bantams... I tried to get 2 hens but we ended up with a roo and a hen (they were around 4 weeks when we got them).

I will eat the eggs when the pullet starts laying but is it a bad idea to hatch the fertile eggs?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Bad idea to allow siblings to mate, from what i have understood.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    You can do it, but it's not advised.

I've got some half siblings I've been trying to get chicks out of and so far it just hasn't worked.

4. slickchik

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    Well they are gonna mate. I can't help that but I can choose not to incubate the eggs. I was hoping it would be ok... I have a bad hatching bug!!

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Breeding siblings in chickens is not really all that taboo. The only thing you have to consider is if they both have defects for the breed, crossing will enhance it more. When breeding siblings there should be a purpose for it..to improve the line and both are the specimens needed to do so or to identify recessive genes for example.

6. slickchik

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    Quote:Why hasn't it worked?

7. jqs birds

jqs birds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2009
    Western Colorado
    Actually it is done quite often when people are trying to breed in new colors or other desirable traits. You just don't want to do it to often as it can result in defects and low fertility.

8. slickchik

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    They are just pets. I would like to show but I am wary of all the diseases I could bring home to the rest of the flock so I just keep my chickens to myself [​IMG]

I just don't want to end up with some really sickly chicks and a bad hatching experience.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The only way you'll find out if the offspring will be ok is to hatch some eggs. You could ask the breeder if they have done sibling to sibling crosses and are these actually 100% pure siblings..meaning from the exact same pair of parents. If they're each from a different hen, then they are not likely 100% sis/brother and you should be just fine to have some chicks from them.

10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Am I missing something?? How do you know they are siblings? If they came from a pen with more than one roo, and more than one roo, meaning no real good records were probably keept, and even with only one roo, and multiple hens they would most likely be only with same Roo, depending on number of hens/roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by