Bad Injury - Vet says there are no antibiotics to use???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ABard, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ABard

ABard Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    10 month Easter egger has a 4-5in round raw area and deep pocket/flap of open skin that reaches from her back down her left side. May originally be from an ambitious rooster. If so, he all but skinned her over time. It smelled terrible and was covered in a gray dead layer. She was acting 100% normal and her wings covered it, so I did not know to check until late last night. Not sure how long it was there. Feeling simply awful about it.

Took her to to the vet first thing this morning and they cleaned it well (it's now mostly raw/pink exposed tissue) and gave us Granulex V spray to use 2-3x/daily to remove the remaining dead tissue. Instructions are to leave it open to drain, clean it 2x daily until dead matter is gone and 1x daily after that, irrigating the pocketed area frequently with cleanser-dipped Q-Tips and hope the skin reattaches. She's isolated in the house with us and is wearing a cone to keep her from pecking; her wing is wrapped to keep it off the injury.

My question is this: the vet said "unfortunately we don't really have any antibiotics we can use on chickens, just topical treatments." I'm not sure if she meant for this particular ailment or not, but I'm baffled. I thought chicken antibiotics were all too common?

The pocketed flap area is about the depth of my finger (i.e. prone to keep infecting) and I'd rather she have also have systemic/internal help fighting this. Can I get something OTC or from an internet source for her?

She is eating/drinking/acting normal - even vet commented on this, so no fever yet. But I don't see how this won't become that if left much longer.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    There are several antibiotics that can be used internally for chickens. A particularly good one is Tylan50 injectable (it also comes in a water soluble form), but others include oxytetracycline (brand names: Terramycin, Duramycin, Tetroxy HCA, etc.) and Baytril. The dosages vary with each antibiotic, as does the egg withdrawal time.

You can usually find the antibiotics I listed at local livestock supply stores, or order them online. If you're worried about your hen's wound becoming infected, I would definitely get an antibiotic for her. Keep in mind, though, that chickens are very hardy and have a remarkable healing ability, so antibiotics aren't necessarily essential to help her heal.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    X2

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Many antibiotics and dewormers have labels that read not to use on egg layers, and Baytril, the best antibiotic for chickens, has been against the law for vets to prescribe for chickens since 2005. That said, many people use Baytril obtained online, or from vets who go ahead and prescribe it for backyard pets. Feedstores have some good antibiotics for respiratory diseases, infections in wounds, and for certain intestinal infections. Many of us use Valbazen or Safeguard wormers, which aren't approved for chickens, but we use proper withdrawal times for eating eggs. Many vets feel that chickens are easily replaced, and don't want to risk their licenses by prescribing drugs for off-label use, but if you ask for advice here on BYC, you will find that many of us can help you. Some people don't like antibiotics, and won't use them on their chickens, even to save their lives. Everyone is different. Gallimycin (erythromycin) is another antibiotic that works on a number of infections, including wounds, respiratory, and intestinal, and is usually available in feed stores or online.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by