Bad leg, I goofed and need advice - 3 week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittyacid, Jul 19, 2010.

1. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    So I have a three week old buff bantam brahama that arrived with slipped tendons in BOTH legs. Well after about 10 tries I had put them in place and bandaged them. Removed the bandages two weeks ago and the chick was limping but getting around for the most part though sitting quite a bit. Well it wasn't until this weekend that I got a good enough look and realized that while one leg is straight and fine, the left leg is bent outward at about a 35-45 degree angle from the hock. Of course I feel awful that I did that to him and didn't realize that I was "deforming" the baby. So my question now is can I do anything? He is still growing and I was wondering if anyone knows if I could gently retrain the leg somehow to get it to be a little more normal. If not, how normal of a life do you think he/she could have? Of course the little guy is destined to be my "special needs" kid and will always get the best worms and stuff, but if there is ANYTHING I can do to make his life better, I want to try it. [​IMG]

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
  3. kittyacid

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Thank you, that is an excellent site. I am afraid that my chick is too old - everything seems geared toward very young chicks.

4. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I would not give up. The bones are still growing and still have a long way to go so I am sure you may be able to make some correction at least.

If you can post some pictures there are people on this site that can help you or at least make some suggestions.

5. kittyacid

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Thank you for the encouragement. I have made an appointment with an avian vet for tomorrow morning. I feel so guilty about the leg and if there is hope, I think the vet can tell me.

6. chuckzoo

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I agree. I hope all goes well. Keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by