bad leg in 2 1/2 month old chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ksg373, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ksg373

ksg373 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Help! We just noticed that one of our buff or ping ton chick's has a bad leg...no idea what happened. ...she can walk on it but not very well....should we treat like splayed leg? Thank you!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    What do you mean by bad leg? If it's using it I would leave it alone, most injuries heal up fine without intervention. My dog chomped one of my chicks foot, it went from unable to use it to healed and running fine in about a week. Just give it time as long as there isn't blood or broken bones.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Can you post a pic? Is the leg at a odd angle? Does it seem stiff? Are toes curled? Are you certain shes not injured in some way? If not,Also Sometimes young birds can get a vitamin defiency. Especially riboflavin. It can affect the legs and cause limping among other symptoms. A good poultry multivitamin containing riboflavin will bring her back to normal if the cause is defiency. Treatment can take uo to 4 weeks although you should see results sooner.another question, was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Its likely shes too young but if shes outside, its a possibility. The disease also effects the legs. It Can bring on limping but usually moves to paralyzing leg or legs. The leg in a resting position would usually be sticking stiffly away from the body. Its a very common and Highly contagious disease. I would examine the leg or legs for injuries if none seen try treating with the vitamins and see if the riboflavin helps. Best wishes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by