Bad leg problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Gerty0630, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Gerty0630

Gerty0630 Songster

Jan 15, 2019
    SE, Michigan
    i know there are so many threads like this. I, myself, have created a couple for this exact duck and this exact reason. It’s hard to watch him so worth another post for more thoughts and ideas for people.
    I have an 8 month old pekin or white layer drake (I say this bc I was told he was a pekin at 2 weeks old when I got him but I believe him
    To be a white layer). He’s got significant leg problems. When he was a duckling I was new to ducks and I read about niacin but I did not give niacin right away. But I don’t believe this to be a niacin issue. He’s been getting supplemental niacin (brewers yeast on food), plus peas as treats, and liquid b complex on oats. He has issues walking. Some days he tools around relatively fine. Other days he stays laying in the coop the entire day. It’s not bumblefoot i have checked many times. He also throws his wings out when trying to walk as if his legs are giving out and he’s trying to catch himself. I know someone who has a duck with arthritis which may explain some days being better than others for him. Another issue someone on Byc made me aware of was I was feeding him the wrong feed (layer feed since my other duck is female. So now, and for the past couple months he’s gotten all flock feed. Idk if this is a diet thing, a niacin thing, an arthritis thing. What. I feel so bad for him he hardly walks some days. Currently I give him canned salmon for some supplemental vitamin a. Plus liquid b on oats, plus I rub a homeopathic anti-inflammatory and pain relief gel on his legs. Anyone have any input or help??

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Is a vet an option? Any swelling in his leg joints? What brand of yeast have you been using?

3. Gerty0630

Gerty0630 Songster

Jan 15, 2019
    SE, Michigan
    I’m not sure about a vet I have to call around and see if any vets around me see ducks. I thought one of the legs may look slightly swelled that’s why I started the anti-inflammatory stuff. The brewers yeast power is Solgar brand.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

How much liquid B are you giving him?

5. casportpony

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. Gerty0630

Gerty0630 Songster

Jan 15, 2019
    SE, Michigan
    I believe it was your suggestion with the liquid b! Nature’s bounty, 2 mls every other day.

7. Gerty0630

Gerty0630 Songster

Jan 15, 2019
    SE, Michigan
  8. casportpony

Do you have a food scale? If so, can you weigh one cup of food?

ButtonquailGirl14 and CayugaJana like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Actually @CayugaJana gave the original dose of the human b complex at 3 ml daily.

10. casportpony

My concern is that the yeast powder that was used has very little niacin in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: