1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad legs...frozen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kabaluch76, Mar 5, 2015.

1. kabaluch76

kabaluch76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2012
    My niece sent me this about a young rooster of hers. Any help or ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A few weeks back the first time it got to zero degrees I think he stepped in his water dish because his feet completely froze solid. When I found him I moved him into our shed with a heat lamp on him. He's been in there like 3 weeks now and he's been doing really well but I think he lost feeling in his legs because he doesn't bend his toes anymore and he walks on the balls of his feet.[​IMG] Do you think he will get better?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If his toes were indeed frozen they will turn black and eventually dry up and fall off. If enough of the toes/foot remains that he is still mobile he will do fine. I have even seen birds that lost one entire foot, but had enough of the other foot that they were able to hobble around. It will all depend upon how badly he was frozen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by