bad legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by paullis, Jun 28, 2010.

1. paullis

paullis Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    Free range on 85 acres. One of our wilder hens has been showing a severe limp lately, about 10 days. I finally was able to catch her today in a driving rain storm. One leg does not move but I cannot discern a break. Both legs show swelling and some soft lumps. According to Storey's Poultry it could be Bumblefoot. I will open the sores and drain them but can I give an antibiotic injection and of what dosage? I have Penicillin, Bio-Mycin 200 and Fortified B complex that I usually use to treat our Boers. Your earliest response is appreciated. She is going down pretty fast.

2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    0.5cc Penicillin IM (breast muscle) twice a day for 10 days. If no response try oral Cephalexin Capsules 250mg twice a day down the throat. Fish-cillin on Amazon is the same thing. This is for a 5-6 pound bird. Adjust the dose according to her weight. Soaks in Tricide-Neo powder (mixed as a dip) works well too (found in fish stores, it is an ulcer dip for Koi fish). You can also put Preparation H on the feet. Get her some shoes from Nettie (www.indoorducks.com). My ducks had that for 2-1/2 months, I caught it very late. Good luck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by