1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bad Lettuce for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MandBducks, Jun 11, 2016.

1. MandBducks

MandBducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Is there any species of lettuce that shouldn't be given to ducks? I was chopping up some spring mix and wanted to double check.

2. bell1774

bell1774 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Lexington,NC
    I'm not sure about different lettuces but DONT GIVE THEM BREAD OR SPINICH. If not now over time it will hurt or even kill your ducks.

3. MandBducks

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks for the tip. I'm specifically wondering if there are types of chard or greens that should be avoided.

4. bell1774

bell1774 Just Hatched

May 28, 2016
    Lexington,NC
    I've done reasearch and it says any greens as long as it's not spinach and doesn't have high purine

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    And they need to have had a little chick grit for a day or three before eating anything other than duckling food. There is a sticky on treats - the Ultimate List.....

Link near the to of the Duck Forum index.

6. MandBducks

Apr 18, 2016
    Thank you both! They have been given chick grit and I have been feeding peas, meal worms, and some other goodies for awhile. It crossed my mind that there are so many lettuce varieties and I couldn't find anything about specific types of lettuce. Good to know the general consensus is that greens are good!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by