Bad luck with birds, What can I do?

joshm97

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 10, 2012
Holland, Massachusetts
Back in April a friend of mine hatched out some turkey eggs. he believed there was some parent/offspring breeding but I knew it wasnt possible as I had butchered all my first year second year toms. We ended up with a small hatch, 2 of the birds with birth defects out of 4 poults. he gave me a healthy bird and one with a birth defect. long story short the one with the birth defect died. Now here in almost August, I have this little poult bunking with three more younger poults 3 ducklings and 2 Chuckar Partridge. everyone else is fine but she seems off. Constantly sleeping not alot of eating or drinking, she is also drooling occasionally. She seems content and happy as she i currently on my lap making happy turkey sounds. but we are still worried and any help would be greatly apperitiated. :)

Back in April a friend of mine hatched out some turkey eggs. he believed there was some parent/offspring breeding but I knew it wasnt possible as I had butchered all my first year second year toms. We ended up with a small hatch, 2 of the birds with birth defects out of 4 poults. he gave me a healthy bird and one with a birth defect. long story short the one with the birth defect died. Now here in almost August, I have this little poult bunking with three more younger poults 3 ducklings and 2 Chuckar Partridge. everyone else is fine but she seems off. Constantly sleeping not alot of eating or drinking, she is also drooling occasionally. She seems content and happy as she i currently on my lap making happy turkey sounds. but we are still worried and any help would be greatly apperitiated. :)
If it makes you feel better, I have always had bad luck with chickens. My first chicken ran away!
But, back onto the main point of helping you. This year, I had one turkey with a wing defect born (due to the air bubble in the egg being in the wrong area (it was located on the side of the egg) and am having bad hatch ratios as well. What kind of decets did the other turkeys have? The drooling is kind of weird, but I've attached two posts that may help you. I skimmed over them, one with other signs associated with the drooling and another with no other signs really.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/228396/chickens-drooling-dont-appear-sick
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/85629/sick-chicken-drooling

Definably keep us updated on the little one! I think the weather is playing tricks on our turkeys. Now that it is 70*F where I live, they are starting to lay eggs (the broody hens are on their third nests again). I'm not at all sure what is going on, so maybe something is in the air this year.

Sadly the little guy didnt make it. We found out what it was. I don't remeber the name though, Started with a C I believe, Im thinking about restarting the whole flock, The ratios are just out of wack at the moment. To many Males 28 birds, Turkeys Chickens Ducks and a goose. The partridges too. weve been loosing birds here too often for me and I think if I shrink the flock I won't have as much of a problem. Since Ive started in 2012 I have lost 7 birds. I know it doesnt sound like alot of birds to loose but The first year I lost not one, second year I lost 2 and this year I lost 5 in 7 months
he.gif
its getting annoying and Im just gonna quit for a while. rebiuld the whole yard and rebiuld the coops. At least Life will be alittle easier. Thiank you for the help and I hope your hatching goes better

Was it coccidiosis? I've never heard of it causing drooling. It might be worth your time to look into what exactly it was, so you will know if you must treat your land. Coccidiosis can infect your grass and other animals. Best of luck though. Loosing so many turkeys in one year can be very heart-breaking especially when you are trying to breed them. Hopefully you do not have to get rid of all of your animals to get everything back on track.

And hopefully this helps out: I always use this site when I want to learn about a disease: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/ Maybe you can see what it says about whatever disease your little guy had.

Well if It was coccidiosis then whouldnt the other birds have it too? we have more turkey poults that are younger then the one we lost. They came from a guy out of Brookfield MA. these other poults are fine. I think it was somthing genetic. we have a turkey hen hat wakes up every morning like she is drunk, took her to a poultry vet 3 times in a week and he told me all of the blood work comes back negitive on illness and poisons. they kept her for 3 ays and she just woke up like a drunk every morning. they told me it was prob a genetic thing too... im not sure

what sounds closest to me n that website is Turkey Coryza? it says there can be lost of discharge from the mouth nose and eyes. It's a type of respitory infection. A condition of turkeys possibly associated with Bordetella avium (previously designated Alkaligenes faecalis) infections. This bacterium usually causes mild respiratory disease in only a proportion of the flocks, and low mortality. It can be synergistic with other respiratory pathogens such as Ornithobacterium, Pasteurella spp, Mycoplasma spp. and pneumoviruses.

• Decreased appetite, weight gain and feed efficiency.
  • Loss of voice.
  • Ocular and nasal discharge.
  • Conjunctivitis.
  • Snick.
  • Dyspnoea.
    hit.gif
    I just wish I caught it sooner!!!! But thats pretty much all of the symptoms She had. Wondering if that sleep thing made it worse

Well if It was coccidiosis then whouldnt the other birds have it too? we have more turkey poults that are younger then the one we lost. They came from a guy out of Brookfield MA. these other poults are fine. I think it was somthing genetic. we have a turkey hen hat wakes up every morning like she is drunk, took her to a poultry vet 3 times in a week and he told me all of the blood work comes back negitive on illness and poisons. they kept her for 3 ays and she just woke up like a drunk every morning. they told me it was prob a genetic thing too... im not sure
Yes about the coccidiosis. It is contagious from bird to bird. I was trying to think of whatever the most common C one would be.
That is very odd that your turkey would wake up like that every day. Maybe she just isn't a morning bird and isn't into worms. Are you going to use her for breeding to see if you can breed that out, or if it truly is just her? Or was this the bird that had died?

what sounds closest to me n that website is Turkey Coryza? it says there can be lost of discharge from the mouth nose and eyes. It's a type of respitory infection. A condition of turkeys possibly associated with Bordetella avium (previously designated Alkaligenes faecalis) infections. This bacterium usually causes mild respiratory disease in only a proportion of the flocks, and low mortality. It can be synergistic with other respiratory pathogens such as Ornithobacterium, Pasteurella spp, Mycoplasma spp. and pneumoviruses.
  • Decreased appetite, weight gain and feed efficiency.
  • Loss of voice.
  • Ocular and nasal discharge.
  • Conjunctivitis.
  • Snick.
  • Dyspnoea.
hit.gif
I just wish I caught it sooner!!!! But thats pretty much all of the symptoms She had. Wondering if that sleep thing made it worse
I suppose it was just a fluke thing that she got that then. I wish I could have helped better as well. Could you ask your friend if his turkeys are having any troubles? It seems odd that you got one with a birth defect and then the perfectly fine one had an infection.

Back
Top Bottom