Bad Luck With Our Girls

tfsmith

Hatching
Nov 20, 2021
My husband had chickens in the past and never had any issues.

In February, we purchased baby chicks a few weeks old. Right before they got laying age, one secluded herself and died.

We ended up with one rooster and about a month ago, he suddenly went blind. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his eyes, no secretions, no change to his eyes at all. He had perfectly healthy looking eyes. We called the hatcher and he was totally stumped. The only thing he could think of was that sometimes a toxin can be in a roach or black beetle and if they eat it, it could cause blindness.

Then today, one of our girls was sitting off to herself. Later, upon picking her up, her chest was rattling. She acted perfectly fine yesterday. We put her in a cage with bedding in the basement and I went to Tractor Supply. The only thing they had for respiratory was VetRx. Got some, put it in a vaporizer, and a few warm drops down her throat as directions stated. Less than 2 hours later, she died. Now we are concerned the others will get sick. Their coop and run are kept clean and not dusty. Compared to other coops I've seen on line, my girls are living clean and in luxury.

We did purchase 5-6 week old pullets from the same hatcher last month and kept them in the same area, but in a very large pet cage (size that our German Shepherd can fit in). As they got bigger we were able to let them be together during the day in the run, but had them in the coop in a cage at night as the older ones picked on them while in the coop. We recently were able to have them all together without any separation or issues.

At our wits end and worried the other girls will get sick.

Since my husband never had issues before, are things like this normal or are we have unusually bad luck?

Thanks. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as many details as possible.

I'm so sorry, that really sucks. I would keep a close eye on them. Is it possible their food went bad, or they had contact with wild birds? Both can cause illness. I would see if you can get immune system boosting supplements from TSC but my chickens haven't been sick so I'm not very experienced with this.

Sounds like possible mild Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) or Infectious Coryza, which are both respiratory diseases. Antibiotics can help ease symptoms, but birds will always be carriers of the disease. Do you have any videos or pictures of the breathing and the blind ones eyes?

If you lose any more birds, the best way to get a diagnosis is to have your state vet get a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. Whenever you get chickens from another person, it is always a gamble if they might have a disease. Quarantine new birds for at least 30 days. I will always get my birds from a hatchery in the future.

If you lose any more birds, the best way to get a diagnosis is to have your state vet get a necropsy. Sorry for your loss. Whenever you get chickens from another person, it is always a gamble if they might have a disease. Quarantine new birds for at least 30 days. I will always get my birds from a hatchery in the future.
Thanks. All our girls came from the same hatchery.

I'm so sorry, that really sucks. I would keep a close eye on them. Is it possible their food went bad, or they had contact with wild birds? Both can cause illness. I would see if you can get immune system boosting supplements from TSC but my chickens haven't been sick so I'm not very experienced with this.
Thanks. No contact with wild birds. They don't free range as we have a lot of hawks in our area.

Back
Top Bottom