1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bad luck with shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sweetlilbaby, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Sweetlilbaby

Sweetlilbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Or any eggs for that matter lately. everything is going against me when I try to hatch, road work shaking the house so bad it knocked the incubator to the floor on the last hatch :(
    I am thinking of trying again but am so lost at where to get eggs. I think if i got them from someone in oregon, or washington (shipped) because I live in washington or here in my own state possibly me picking them up that i'd have good luck.
    Anyone know where to look for eggs? I checked craigslist. I do not have a ton of money. I was going to get eggs from my mom but she said the eggs have been frozen by the time they collect them.

I am also trying to find some tinted eggs. blues to greens, Some dark browns, cherry reds, and large white egg. prefer all eggs be large
    My current chickens are small egg layers.
    Also any advice on a successful hatch? I keep temp at 99.5 to 100 during the whole incubation, It's a still air incubator with egg turner, Humidity is kept between 40 to 45 til day 18 then upped to 65. I candle on day 10 and 18. tossing out any bad eggs.
    When lock down starts i try to avoid touching unless there is a smell in the incubator or some other issue.
    I keep the incubator in the room that has the most steady heat, and humidity.
    What am I doing wrong?

Past two times I did shipped eggs they were from the other side of the US. I think that may have been the issue is they traveled so far that in shipping they got scrambled.

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    We have eggs but shipping them this time of year is pretty uncertain as we can't control the temperatures in the trucks. My rule of thumb if an egg gets to 48 degrees it won't hatch most likely. With this in mind I feel this time of year isnt best to hatch eggs.

3. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Lots of people have luck hatching this time of year. But i guess they are collecting from their own hens. Honestly i'm about ready to take off to my moms for a week and collect eggs as I hear her hens laying them. When I'm at her house i'm typically out with her chickens anyway.
    If chickens are kept in a heated coop then the time of year doesn't matter for hatching. I can easily set up a heat lamp above the nests in their coop. :)
    I just really want a successful hatch. The last hatch has me depressed. I had 3 eggs that managed to internally pip (a few days late but still) then the road construction caused the house to shake so bad that the incubator fell off the table. :( it killed all 3 off them. they were maybe a few hours away from hatch. I opened the eggs to find i'd have had a white and two black chicks. :( that probably made it even worse.

I think my last two tries at shipped eggs may have had a cold issue. they were shipped so far that they got a plain ride. I am pretty sure that causes them to be exposed to super cold temps and possibly freeze. Out of 4 dozen eggs i got one chick. so it's now a $40 chick. and i'm pretty sure it's a rooster at that.

4. NJNick

NJNick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2012
    I believe all shipped eggs will be x-rayed by the postal service. I bought many fertile eggs from Ebay. And had very bad results. But you would think if the box is marked. Fertile Eggs. They should not have been x-rayed. And it is possible that a very rough ride could do damage to the egg also. Even if it was not cracked....Any input on this.

5. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    i know some are damaged without seeing any damage on the outside. the last eggs I had bought and were shipped to me had a few that had the yoke inside mixed with the whites. on day 10 i candled and nothing was happening and when i cracked it all the liquid was light yellow :(
    I don't think they x-ray the eggs when they are marked, but i do think that the people shipping them see "fragile" written on the box and take that as to mean throw the box.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  7. wdeajr3

wdeajr3 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2012
    Harahan,LA
    My Coop
    Yes when I got mine said on box don't xray live eggs and fragile. Only one eggs was broke.

8. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Yeah, I had one time I got the eggs and a quarter of them were completely crushed. The second time only one egg was crushed, then one had a small crack. But the inside of several were scrambled. meaning the yoke broke open inside without damaging the shell. I hear about people having a lot of success with shipped eggs. Started feeling like I was alone win getting shipped eggs and having no success.

9. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    It seems like the more "hatching eggs" are written on the outside of the box, the more USPS goes through the pain of crushing or shaking the package so that it arrives with broken eggs. You'd think the sellers didn't pay their postage!

10. Sweetlilbaby

Apr 19, 2012
    Tacoma Washington
    Yeah I noticed that too. I also noticed that if you write "do not bend" on anything you mail it will show up bent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by