Bad Mikey

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spiritbrook, Nov 2, 2015.

1. spiritbrook

spiritbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Southern Oregon Coast
    I love my little flock. They are not the most proper Khakis around but when you look at them you know what breed they are. Mikey the drake watches over Betsy and Sarah. Sometimes he leads and sometimes he follows, all the while following looking like a little kid who has been left out of the game. Sometimes he floats in the tub pretending to be looking for bad guys but really hoping the girls will join him for a little eh-hem. (he thinks that water is the only acceptable place for eh-hem)

Mikey has decided the it is his duty to protect his girls. He comes at the perceived danger with his head low, neck stretched out and his wings lifted. Probably a good and proper thing for a drake to do (besides eh-hem) Perhaps it is because I didn't cuddle the ducks when they were babies that they are not tame, I didn't know any better. I'm trying to tame them now. Well Mikey, bad evil Mikey, does his guard duck act whenever I turn and walk away. I turn around and he runs back to his girls and runs his bill. Sometimes I corner him and carry him until I get to the gate then put him down so he won't chase me, but I have no idea what to do to cure the problem. He's getting closer and closer to nipping my heals and I don't want a biting duck in case I get visitors. Should I worry about it and how can I cure him? Since I have your attention, how do I get them all to be tame and cuddly like people talk about on the list?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well, it's Mikey's job to eh-hem (sounds as if he has that part down pat) and protect the girls. Testosterone does strange things to many drakes. In my experience such drakes become somewhat less aggressive as they mature [​IMG] and also less aggressive on the 'off ah-hem' season. Just keep an eye on him, subordinate him by forcing him to the ground when he attacks and roast him if all else fails.

3. spiritbrook

spiritbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Boy howdy does he attack when I try to pick up one of the girls. Yesterday I ended up with him under my arm while I collected up another. The problem was the duck I was trying to pick up ran past me when he attacked my arm. It's hard to be mad... he looks so silly doing it. He's gotten so that he bills me less and is easier to distract (with food) When offered food he eats the food first then postures. I worry that his guarding his girls will do nothing if the local Merlin attacks. I know the book says that they eat small prey, but...

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think water fowl or poultry for that matter have any way to protect themselves or their flock for a predator. [​IMG]

It's our job to protect them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by