Bad molt??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristin06, Dec 17, 2016.

1. kristin06

kristin06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    NC
    I have a cochin hen that went broody with no egg(she goes broody all the time lol). Anyways I thought she was finally coming out of it, a few days later she was loosing all her feathers, wings and feet. Pretty sure she wasn't pulling them out. And she was having a hard time walking. So I brought her inside. She wasn't as happy as she usually is, didn't really want to walk even when I tempted her with cheese. She is getting rooster booster and feather fixer, and maybe twice a week getting some crushed high quality dog food (like 3 pieces smaller than a dime) made with salmon. She seems to be doing better and her feathers are really coming through on her feet now. She still seem to be a bit sore on her feet though. She is starting to come after her cheese now. I guess the main question is if a cochin goes through a bad molt can it mess up their balance? So sorry for the long post, just trying to give all the details.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sound like she went off her food for a while and developed a vitamin deficiency.Are you (sure) she wasn't pulling them out?,After being broody they usually molt.

3. kristin06

kristin06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2014
    NC
    Almost positive. She was coming out and eating every day. But the feed store didn't have the pellets so I got crumble and I noticed it wasn't getting eaten. I'm thinking that had dome thing to do with it also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by